Hi,
A while ago i set my dad up with a new computer. the motherboard i chose was an Asus P5KPL SE.
he has been using a Maxtor IDE HDD but now wants more storage space. i got him a sata drive and it is just not being recognised - not even by the bios. i know the drive works because i'v tested it on another system and it worked a treat. i know it's getting power in his computer because i can feel it spin up and it gets a a little warmer after it's been on. but it just isn't being detected. he has a fresh installation of windows 7. i have updated the bios, still not recognised. there don't seem to be any conflicts that i am aware of. could it be that all 4 on board sata ports don't work? or is there something i'm missing?
i have been looking for possible solutions in these forums and just can't find anything..
Any help would be appreciated.
if any more info is needed to try diagnose a problem i can provide it.
Thanks!

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ntlgnce

strange, Sometimes there is a setting in the Bois for Primary secondary, there is also sometimes an option to turn sata off.

strange, Sometimes there is a setting in the Bois for Primary secondary, there is also sometimes an option to turn sata off.

I have gone through the bios and sata is enabled, it just doesn't recognise it. it says "not detected" for each listed sata port.

Hmm, maybe the cable is at fault? can you recheck the drive one another computer, maybe problem happened during transport

Hmm, maybe the cable is at fault? can you recheck the drive one another computer, maybe problem happened during transport

i have used the drive on another machine to test it. it worked perfectly. i have tried 3 different cables. i have tried all 4 SATA ports on the motherboard. i know the drive is getting power in this machine, just not being recognised.

well in that case i am out of ideas but it sounds like one of those stupid things u know when u find the problem u curse urself

The power supply! when they start to go bad all kinds of weird things will happen. I had one that I thought the board was fried, but it turned out to be the power supply.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.