Hi,

I have a desktop, and a laptop. I want to use a single keyboard, a mouse, and a monitor with both of these using a KVM switch.

When I am using my laptop, I also want to make use of laptop screen. I was wondering is there is way to have dual screens when using KVM.

I would appreciate if you can recommend me a KVM switch, or maybe there is some software solution.

I am using Ubuntu Linux on my laptop, and Windows XP on my desktop.

May be there is a way to use laptop screen along with the monitor even when working on Windows?

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

There is usually a key press that you have to do to switch between internal screen and external monitor on most laptops. Just don't switch it to external!!

you do one thing install VNC Viewer in your desktop, from that you can log in remotely to you laptop.... before that you as to enable remoter desktop in you Ubuntu

i hope this will help you...try

There is usually a key press that you have to do to switch between internal screen and external monitor on most laptops. Just don't switch it to external!!

Hi,

That's true, but if I want to use both of the screens together? Is there any software, or hardware solution?

Thanks!

That all depends exactly what you mean by "together". Please explain what you want to achieve precisely.

That all depends exactly what you mean by "together". Please explain what you want to achieve precisely.

Well, I have seen people using two screen for one computer. They can drag windows from one screen to another, and work on both of them.

The basic idea is having more space to spread the opened windows.

So you mean a dual screen setup. That is something completely different from having 2 machines through a KVM.

Dual screen can only be done with graphics cards that have more tan one output.
As and example, I have a flatscreen tv connected to my DVI port and a standard CRT monitor connected to my vga port. It is possible to use more than one graphics card in a pc but it will depend on what slots you have and what make the cards are to some degree. Some laptops have a GVA output that can be used for a second screen but the quality is usually quite poor.

So you mean a dual screen setup. That is something completely different from having 2 machines through a KVM.

Dual screen can only be done with graphics cards that have more tan one output.
As and example, I have a flatscreen tv connected to my DVI port and a standard CRT monitor connected to my vga port. It is possible to use more than one graphics card in a pc but it will depend on what slots you have and what make the cards are to some degree. Some laptops have a GVA output that can be used for a second screen but the quality is usually quite poor.

Essentially, I want to use KVM so I can also share the additional monitor with desktop.

My system set up will be similar to having an external monitor connected to laptop through VGA port. Now, I want use both of these screens instead of using them one at a time.

Thanks!

The only option you will probably get is to clone which means both screens will show the same output. I don't think it's possible to do dual screen with a laptop.

through KVM switch you can see one screen at time..but there is one option use remote software like VNC Viewer...from that you can connect as many system you want...then yo don't want to switch in KVM to get other system desktop...

if you want more information...

call
[snip]
~thangaa

If you want to view two screens simultaneously on the screen use quad screen splitter, it helps you to view videos up to 4 devices simultaneously on the same screen.

First off, how many screens do you have? It sounds like three, one for the monitor, one on the laptop, and a third 'free' one for your extended monitor. If you only have two (one laptop and one actual screen) there is nothing really you can do to have extended desktops on both the laptop and desktop.

A kvm switch can work fine for both your Laptop and PC.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.