howdy all, the old monk here, with a poser. My 'puter really wants a 350 watt p.s., but I've only got a 200. Is it possible to slave a second p.s. to get the extra, needed watts???

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

howdy all, the old monk here, with a poser. My 'puter really wants a 350 watt p.s., but I've only got a 200. Is it possible to slave a second p.s. to get the extra, needed watts???

It's better just to replace the whole thing. You can buy a 400W power supply for as little as $30, and the replacement is easier than setting up a slave* PS, which can cause problems in some situations.

*This reply invalid in Los Angeles County...
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp

I agree that just spending $30-50 dollars on a good quality power supply is your best option, I like Antec's PSU's best but Sparkle and Enermax make good ones as well.

Check pricewatch. Just a couple months ago, I purchased a dual-fan 500W PSU for $16, shipped.

Even though you can slave two power supplies together, that's pretty, UM, GHETTO. For one thing, how easy would it be to find a case that accepts two PSUs? You'd probably end up drilling a old in the side and sitting the second PSU on top.

You might be able to pull off a dual PS electrically, but cosmetically it wouldn't look too good.

this is the first time i heard this but no i dont think you can

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.