I have a compaq presario 700 and the screen won't stay open. It has lost all the tension it had. Any suggestions on how I can fix it or recommend any devices I can buy to attach to laptop to keep the screen in an up right position.

thanks

stone

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

What has happened is either the knurls on the shaft that go into the cast Al frame of the LCD screen have worn the mating hole smooth or the holes themselves have split. If your laptop is one of the Compaq models with the removable hinge caps, take them off and you will see what is happening. A solution is to epoxy the shaft into the frame.

How can I find out if it has removable hinge caps?
Is there somewhere I can find how to open the case on this computer?
Compaq 700

usually removeing screws will open the computer

If you find a solution to your laptop.. let me know.. my presario 700's hinges are completely worn off.. I had a computer shop look at it and the only solution they offered me was to get a brand new screen b/c there is no replacement part for the hinges alone.

i have a set of hinges, so if u could e-mail a pic of the hinges i could see if they r the same. Bcarr0405@aol.com

That is a common Presario 700 fault. The fitting of the screen isn't what it should be.

The Presario 700 has a number of faults eg the heatsink.

Some are not affected but 70% of them are. Unfortunatly for anyone who has the presario 700 the warrenty is more than likely run out.

For details on how to open your computer go there

I have the same problem and I managed to repair but not permanently. Every 3-5 months the problem slowly appears again.

Take off the hinge caps (there are two pairs, one on the left and the other on the right side) Each hinge cap consists of 2 parts, the one has the hole and the other (made from stiff metal) has the stick that goes into the hole. The problem is the hole that as you use the laptop it’s getting wider and wider. I managed to press it and tighten the hole (attention!!! with the stick inside it, because after you press it you probably could not put the stick inside the hole) using clamp and nippers.

Doesn't look like anyone can overcome what is basically a design flaw on these Presarios (and the problem is by no means unique to Compaq) - the plastics ain't strong enough to support the amount of torquing in the opening/closing of its lid, or maintaining the screen in an open, viewable position. In a great many cases, the screen lid (the portion that's got the beautiful Compaq logo on it) will develop hairline cracks near the pivot points, in other cases, the entire upper half of the notebook (the screen, its hinges) will threaten to divorce the lower half of the notebook.

In short, there's too much strength involved in flipping the screen open and close, and not enough strength in the plastics to support it - all in the quest for lightweight machines. Just go on eBay and look there - it's full of Presario 700s, and mostly the bottom halves are available...

You are correct in saying "DESIGN FLAW" I cant knock these models however, I get a ton of these in for repairs monthly. Issues ranging from the motherboard shorting internally at the supply circuit, To zener and regulator diodes shorting open or across, Thermal pads melting shorting the CPU's,, Blah blah blah. I have pretty good luck plastic welding and beefing up the hinge areas and cracks, Replacing the hinges, And adding a tin support in the lids. 700 owners, Be ready for failure. These break down more often than not. (Fixed so many I can do sleeping now).. If you guys need help, Just yell. I stock a ton of parts for these and have helped people from all over the world repair their own units. (Providing you are capable, can solder, read a DVM, and have the mechanical aptitude for the correct assembly/reassembly. Also PLEASE before you toss one in the trash, list it on E-bay, Smash the screen with a brick?? Just contact us.. We will also buy these inop if they are complete and havent had the "brick" thing happen as of yet.. The top lid plastic goes for an amazing 100.00 US on ebay, Hinges? 79.00.. Wholly frikk! what was compaq thinking?? With these parts running so high used? and Motherboards bringing 250.00 tested and working used?? You can see the pattern. Goes with supply and demand? If you want help, or would like us to repair? Give an email.. Weve been here a while.. Ken link edited by moderator

Hi,
Can you tell me if you can help me in get a new laptop screen plastic panel for the back of my latop LCD Panel? I am really needing to find one, but its very hard in Australia. Are you able to give me a quote on 1 Panel and a pair of hinges? If you could help me I would be greatly appreciative! Could you also email me back on lmazey@iprimus.com.au.

Thank You!,
Leon Mazey

I have a compaq presario 700 and the screen won't stay open. It has lost all the tension it had. Any suggestions on how I can fix it or recommend any devices I can buy to attach to laptop to keep the screen in an up right position.

thanks

stone

Hello Presario 700 Owner,

I have created a strong but flexible bracket that will support the LCD screen for all Presario 700 series notebook PC's.

I will ship brackets to anyone wanting a LCD Screen Support Bracket for $45.00 plus shipping.

Reply to this email address (coverstayup@cs.com) for order instructions if interested.

Regards,

Tony

Regarding case cracks... the case on my 730 US is cracked near the hinges on both sides but it works just fine and the lid stays open just fine. What exactly happens when these fail? Are we talking about two different issues between the case cracking and the hinges cracking? I'm a little confused... I guess I need to fix mine if it's an issue that I need to be worried about.

I have the same hinge/floppy screen problem on my Presarion 700 and wanted to contact the person who has built a screen bracket "coverstayup@cs.com" but the email has been returned. Does anyone have contact details and/or experience of this bracket?

I have a problem the opposite of what has been under discussion. I have a Pavilion n5350 laptop. I disassembled it and successfully replaced a defective floppy disk drive. When I attempted to close the computer, I found that the display was locked open at approximately 175°. I disassembled it again to the point where I could see the hinge assemblies. They would not rotate in either direction.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

Hi!

Came across your posting while browsing. I have a compaq presario 700 laptop and cracked the LCD by my own mistake (lapse of commonsense for a sec). I need to remove the screen unit and replace it with another presario 700 screen. Do you have instructions or manual as to how to remove the screen unit and replace it with another unit?

Thanks.

Hi,

You're in luck, I still have the web site I used:

http://armbrust.dyndns.org/tips/presario.html

Regards,

Nick

Hi!

Came across your posting while browsing. I have a compaq presario 700 laptop and cracked the LCD by my own mistake (lapse of commonsense for a sec). I need to remove the screen unit and replace it with another presario 700 screen. Do you have instructions or manual as to how to remove the screen unit and replace it with another unit?

Thanks.

Thanks, Nick.

Best regards,
Becky.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.