I just loaded OSX.2 onto my G4 (PCI Graphics). Everything seemed to install fine, albeit slowly. When the system finally rebooted after Disc 2 install, the initial screen steps you through the setup. That's when I first noticed the main roadblock. My keyboard no longer functions. The mouse attached to the keyboard works, but I'm unable to type in the necessary registration information and there's no option to bypass this page.

I doublechecked my USB cabling. I made sure the keyboard is not in a hub, but rather direct connected to the back of the computer.

Two things that may be related. I did not upgrade to OS 9.2.2 like the Apple site suggests (I read this after the fact.) I did not upgrade any firmware...one chart showed that if I had the version with PCI Graphics, there really wasn't any firmware upgrades necessary. Now I'm wondering if some firmware needed upgrading for my keyboard.

I'm convinced that if the keyboard functions, the rest of the computer should work 80%-100% as needed. Any suggestions? Feel free to Email the response directly. (removed by moderator)

Please advise. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I just loaded OSX.2 onto my G4 (PCI Graphics). Everything seemed to install fine, albeit slowly. When the system finally rebooted after Disc 2 install, the initial screen steps you through the setup. That's when I first noticed the main roadblock. My keyboard no longer functions. The mouse attached to the keyboard works, but I'm unable to type in the necessary registration information and there's no option to bypass this page.

I doublechecked my USB cabling. I made sure the keyboard is not in a hub, but rather direct connected to the back of the computer.

Two things that may be related. I did not upgrade to OS 9.2.2 like the Apple site suggests (I read this after the fact.) I did not upgrade any firmware...one chart showed that if I had the version with PCI Graphics, there really wasn't any firmware upgrades necessary. Now I'm wondering if some firmware needed upgrading for my keyboard.

I'm convinced that if the keyboard functions, the rest of the computer should work 80%-100% as needed. Any suggestions? Feel free to Email the response directly. (removed by moderator)

Please advise. Thanks.

I'm appending my message above. I was able to bypass the registration page by cutting and pasting text and numbers onto the screen. It's a bandage. Now I am able to manipulate the desktop with my mouse only. When I enter Classic Mode, I am able to open up something like Microsoft Word and I am able to type. It's only when I re-enter OS X.2 that my keyboard fails to work. I haven't tried re-booting, but right now it would seem I should try to boot up and enter Classic alone....main concern is that I would like to access Email (Outlook Express) and IE, if possible...eventually, I'm confident I can. Right now though, the keyboard issue is baffling.

Hello,

I removed your email address, as we want to encourage participation here in the forums at DaniWeb. Others may have the same issue that you have, and it would be beneficial for them to see it too. Please keep the conversations here.

Your keyboard is working in OS 9, but not in X. That is interesting. I think there were firmware updates to the G4, but do not remember to what models they applied to, and what they fixed. You might wish to search Apple's website for an article concerning that. Search on your specific G4 model.

It is also possible that OS X needs to know more about your Keyboard. Get into the System Preferences, and into the Keyboard control panel. See if you can specify a keyboard in there, and get it to work.

Let us know what you find!

Christian

Three things I've found out since reading Christian's response.

a) According to the Apple site, my firmware requires no upgrade.
b) I believe I did not upgrade to OS 9.2 because there was an issue with my DVD player not functioning under that OS...so I stayed with 9.1 and a patch for the DVD program for the past several years. This may be related because the upgrade directions to OS X.2 recommends upgrading OS 9.1 to 9.2 prior to upgrading ultimately to X.2.
c) There is a neat function within OS X.2 that allows me to choose the startup disk. I saw 9.1 as an option so I chose that, restarted, and my computer looks and acts like it did prior to the OS X.2 upgrade. Basically, I have the old functionality that I had before and this is quite a relief.

Unfortunately, I still do not have keyboard access when starting up in OS X.2. The Keyboard preference page does not show an option like I might find in Windows that drills down to the specific keyboard choice/make/brand...at least none I can find. So, I cannot confirm if my original Mac keyboard for this G4 is compatible or not and I have not seen anything on the web to lead me to believe that it is not compatible. This is one of the original G4's.

Knowing that I am back to where I began with OS 9.1 is acceptable for now. I may wait to see if others respond and over the next days and weeks, return to troubleshooting my OS X.2 problem. If anybody has experienced anything similar I am still interested in reading about it. I do want to be able to use OS X.2 on this Mac. Thanks.

Hello,

I removed your email address, as we want to encourage participation here in the forums at DaniWeb. Others may have the same issue that you have, and it would be beneficial for them to see it too. Please keep the conversations here.

Your keyboard is working in OS 9, but not in X. That is interesting. I think there were firmware updates to the G4, but do not remember to what models they applied to, and what they fixed. You might wish to search Apple's website for an article concerning that. Search on your specific G4 model.

It is also possible that OS X needs to know more about your Keyboard. Get into the System Preferences, and into the Keyboard control panel. See if you can specify a keyboard in there, and get it to work.

Let us know what you find!

Christian

Is this an apple keyboard?

Is this an apple keyboard?

This is the original Apple keyboard that came with the G4. It worked without problem prior to the upgrade. It works without problem within the OS 9.1 Shell. It does not work in OS X.2, but the attached mouse does. Further, I can press the start up keyboard button to power up my G4 whether I'm booting up into OS X.2 or OS 9.1.

That is totally strange. Don't know what to tell you besides try another keyboard as a first pass.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.