When I push the button on my computer to turn it on, nothing comes on, no fans, harddrive, NOTHING. So, the button basically doesn't work.

When I have the power cord in and open the PC up, there is a light on the motherboard on, so the cord is fine.

Also, when I plug my moniter in, it knows that it's plugged in.

Can someone tell me how to fix the LED or whatever? I have a Dell Dimension Desktop.

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Have there been any signs of abnormal behaviour prior to this happening? Freezes or restarts? Startup or shutdown problems? Slow operation?

It sounds like you have a hardware malfunction of some sort, and perhaps you should drop it in to a repairman if you're not comfortable with delving into its 'innards'.

I have 2 Dells with the same problem - one at work, one at home. At work they just gave me a new pc. At home I pulled the power for 5 minutes then plugged it back in and pressed the button once and waited. Eventually, the PC would start to start and then shut off - repeatedly.
I then pressed the button again and it booted normally.
Previously, I just kept pressing the button and waiting and eventually it started.

Not sure this helped...

i'll back up catweasles good advice here and say to you take it down to your nearest repair centre or pcworld store. im not 100% certain but my guess is that there is a power fault lying within the motherboard itself or in the wiring between the power switch and the board. i know this is going to seem like a very silly question but are you sure that the wiring for the power and reset/restart switches are plugged in appropriately on the motherboard. check your systems documentation and if possible go on the web and locate an up to date motherboard manual for your specific board and machine.

why are u not calling dell tech support? :)

why are u not calling dell tech support? :)

good question but i can understand the reasons for not wanting to contact dell tech support. first is the extortionate costs of the premium rate phone lines and the service is in my opinion not what it ought to be.:)

Main reason I'd suspect is that the Warranty has expired ;)

how very true, but even so they should be able to advise and maybe make a telephone diagnosis of the fault. it may be simple it may not

it may be simple it may not

but either way it's gonna cost you if the Warranty support has expired ;)

but either way it's gonna cost you if the Warranty support has expired ;)

true, worth a go tho.:-|

but then again i belive they have life time phone support
right?!!:)

think so!!!

good question but i can understand the reasons for not wanting to contact dell tech support. first is the extortionate costs of the premium rate phone lines and the service is in my opinion not what it ought to be.:)

They have a tech support online chat, it's useful and free. At least they know what they're talking about... they don't act like NetZero and tell me I have to reformat my hard drive to connect to the internet... good thing I'm a geek. :) Otherwise I'd be running Win98 right now instead of ME.

They have a tech support online chat, it's useful and free. At least they know what they're talking about... they don't act like NetZero and tell me I have to reformat my hard drive to connect to the internet... good thing I'm a geek. :) Otherwise I'd be running Win98 right now instead of ME.

very true but im looking at a scenario whereby you might not be able to access the internet. thankfully these scenarios are very few and far between now.:)

...The 2 main things I look at when a machine will not light up is (A)Power supply...which I keep a good spare on my bench just for that purpose and (B) Always take a look at your RAM...a burnt stick will lay it low...Mal....Tech From Hell....Upper East Side Of Course!

yes, and if your computer is still under warranty it should all be available on the parts replacement clause of the policy.

hi,
It may be just a bad power supply .

Replace the power supply and try.

-Amy

hi,
It may be just a bad power supply .

Replace the power supply and try.

-Amy

it may be a bad or no connection between the front power switch and the motherboard. only saying this cos i've just experienced a similar problem on a PC i've been looking at for a mate.

what happened was somehow the connection wires had sprung out from the motherboard.

have a look and trace the wires that run to the front power switch and make sure that they are securely plugged into your motherboard.:)

The way to make sure its not just the button is to use a screwdriver and touch the two pins with it where the button pins go. That will turn the computer on if there is no problem with the motherboard.

The way to make sure its not just the button is to use a screwdriver and touch the two pins with it where the button pins go. That will turn the computer on if there is no problem with the motherboard.

ok excuse me askin this but how can this be? please explain a little more:confused:
surely u need a powered connection to turn it on dont u? mayb im wrong but id sure like to know how this works just for future reference.:D thanks

errr.... uummmm.....

For an experienced person shorting the two pins for the front panel power lead will certainly power up an ATX motherboard, if the power is connected to it of course.

But if you don't know what you're doing, don't mess with it ;)

On shorting those two pins I have also found that you can take an LED and jump across them and it should put out about a half glow if standby power is there....try reversing the connection if it does not the first time...at least you'll know if your power is coming that far.....Mal...Tech From Hell...Upper East Side.....Of Course!

errr.... uummmm.....

For an experienced person shorting the two pins for the front panel power lead will certainly power up an ATX motherboard, if the power is connected to it of course.

But if you don't know what you're doing, don't mess with it ;)

sounds like something that should only be done as a short term measure then. not something for just jo public to be doing.

thanks for the info anyhow.:)

have you tested your power supply? You can buy a power supply tester or just try a known good power supply.

Good luck :lol:

my pc starts then dose memory check & finds hard disk and cd rom then trys to boot windows then it resets help me please :rolleyes:

I had the same problem where I work.

It turned out to be a problem with the PSU. Once I replaced it it worked fine.

Ali Digman.

you said you had a dell with this problem? well. i have a problem similar to it. and i really need help with it. i hope u can. i have a dell studio 15 and whenever i turn it on it says that it did not startup properly and that it was going to try to repair the error. well, i had let my computer try to repair the error. but it still did not work after several hours. i dont know if it is the manufacturers fault or mine. but i desperately need it fixed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.