So my monitor was turning itself on and off, now it's just stretched horizontally (blurred). :evil: :evil:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?t=1876

I use the focus adjustments on the flyback and it will get crisp vertically, but still stretched horizontally. The repair shop told me it would cost a lot to find a new transformer and to have them put it in, AND it might just be the CRT. I can't find another place locally to get a 2nd opinion. Anyone have any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

So my monitor was turning itself on and off, now it's just stretched horizontally (blurred)... I use the focus adjustments on the flyback and it will get crisp vertically, but still stretched horizontally. The repair shop told me it would cost a lot to find a new transformer and to have them put it in, AND it might just be the CRT. I can't find another place locally to get a 2nd opinion. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm speaking here in relatively general terms -- I have not seen your exact model of monitor.

Not likely CRT. Possible flyback. Most newer monitors have multiple focus controls, especially flat-screen style CRTs. Most have at least one static focus (on the flyback) and dynamic focus. Some, like the ViewSonic and related OptiQuest and Panasonic models may have three controls, sometimes two on the flyback, plus the dynamic on the video driver board or nearby.

With a flat screen the electron beam travels further for edges and corners than the middle; that's one reason why CRT faces used to be a nearly spherical section.

With dynamic focus, the deflection signal is used to modulate the focus for a sharper image edge-to-edge. In your case, it's more likely a power supply or microcontroller problem, based on your stated symptoms. Parts are hard to get for those sometimes. How well does it handle different resolutions?

I saw in a post that someone got one of these for $350 on eBay...

all resolutions are blurred. I can get the same P815 monitor for $200, but it'll just be giving me this same headache soon. What a quandry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.