ok heres the deal we got 3 g4's and each one is not detecting the hard drive two of them we are trying to install linux on and one im trying to install G4 Mac os X yet its the same the hard drives have been changed the cables aswell everything running fine ram is good to what could be wrong with them any ideas

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

ummm does any one have any ideas of what could be wrong any ideas would be good because i am completly stumped

How did you format them? What format did you use?

If you boot from the OS X installer, you can go to Disk Utility and format the drives.

thanks man its working umm if you ever need help if i can i will help you to man keep in touch

i did boot from the installer but it wont let me

Sorry, "it" wouldn't let you what?

so we had to take it over to a pc used a 98 disk to get to the format screen blew the drives then pulled the hard drives out and put them back but we still got nada

You cannot install Mac OS X or Linux on a drive formatted for Windows (Fat16/32 or NTFS). Mac OS X will ONLY run on a disk formatted with HFS+. Linux (I believe) runs on Ext3, maybe UDF.

To install OS X, you have to boot from the installer CD and reformat the drives HFS+ with the Disk Utility. If it's not letting you boot from the Installer CD, then you either don't have a generic installer (if you're trying to use an installer from another computer, what you're trying to do is illegal and probably won't work anyway), or you need to install OS 9 and update the BootROM firmware first. What kind of Macs are these?

Sorry, "it" wouldn't let you what?

You cannot install Mac OS X or Linux on a drive formatted for Windows (Fat16/32 or NTFS). Mac OS X will ONLY run on a disk formatted with HFS+. Linux (I believe) runs on Ext3, maybe UDF.

To install OS X, you have to boot from the installer CD and reformat the drives HFS+ with the Disk Utility. If it's not letting you boot from the Installer CD, then you either don't have a generic installer (if you're trying to use an installer from another computer, what you're trying to do is illegal and probably won't work anyway), or you need to install OS 9 and update the BootROM firmware first. What kind of Macs are these?

i knwo that now umm you came threw man you are awsome thanks again its working now keep in touch ya know

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.