my usb not format. pls give me a solution to my problem.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

not formatted problem. pls give me a solution now....

Insert your flash drive into the USB port and let it get recognized/installed/whatever so that it shows up in "My Computer" (this should happen automatically when you plug it in).

Open the "My Computer" window and locate the flash drive. Right-click on it and choose "Format..." from the resulting window.

Choose the appropriate options (I believe flash drives must be FAT32, unfortunately) and press "Start"

There may be Virus problem, so first run the scan, then try it to format, i hope so u will be success

I believe flash drives must be FAT32

Not so.

If the drive settings are set on "Optimize for quick removal" in device manager, then the only formatting options for it would be FAT and FAT32.

However, if the "Optimize for performance" is selected instead, then the "NTFS" will become an extra formatting option.

But, beware:
If the USB drive is NTFS-formatted, then "Safely remove hardware" is mandatory prior to disconnecting it. Otherwise, data corruption is possible.

commented: Good info on USB flash drive formats +1

Thanks for the info Chaky, I had no idea. I'm not sure why I got it in my head that it was FAT/FAT32 only.

Does the "optimize for performance" flag need to be set in Device Manager | Disk Drives | flash device | properties | policies before you see the NTFS option in the format menu then? That would explain why I didn't see it there.

Regardless, mine will remain for the most part FAT32 since I generally use them for transferring test builds of software, files and other miscellaneous crap between PCs at work. With the variations in hardware/software/OS on the different PCs and the frequency with which I plug and unplug them, I think FAT32 is the right choice for most of them, but it's great to know how to get NTFS for future drives.

Does the "optimize for performance" flag need to be set in Device Manager | Disk Drives | flash device | properties | policies before you see the NTFS option in the format menu then? That would explain why I didn't see it there.

Yup. If it is set to "quick removal", NTFS is NOT in a drop-down box when you're about to format it. Same applies to external HDs and flash drives.

I prefer NTFS because of file compression.

I do encounter kind of same problem with my drive.

It says "the disk in drive H partition is not formatted, do you want to format it now?".

In fact the drive was formatted before and was ready to store files. And I got plenty of pictures there. However I do not want to format it but the drive is not readable.

I did access the pictures by a unformat tool called iCare recovery software with the tutorial

http://www.icare-recovery.com/recover-data-from-formatted-drive.html

I hope this info helps.

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.