This happened to this PC before but it strangely corrected itself after being unplugged several days and has worked fine for the past few months. This is a self-built. Turns on fine, all LED's light, fans start and drives spin up. Get a good load of video then POST continues and I get the single good POST beep. Screen then displays processor info correctly and then system freezes. No RAM count begins and I can't enter the BIOS. I have tried unplugging all IDE's, clearing CMOS, remove MB from the case, removed all cards except AGP as it has no onboard video and swapping RAM. None have worked. The specs are Windows 2000 Pro, socket 478 Soyo board, 2.6 Intel Celeron 400fsb, 350 watt Antec power supply, 2 CD-Roms, 2 hard drives and the floppy. The only things I have not tried is swapping the CPU into another board or swapping CPU's as none are available to me. This board doesn't support the newer D's 533 bus speed. Any ideas as I am beginning to suspect either the board or CPU and just rebuild it.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

This happened to this PC before but it strangely corrected itself after being unplugged several days and has worked fine for the past few months. This is a self-built. Turns on fine, all LED's light, fans start and drives spin up. Get a good load of video then POST continues and I get the single good POST beep. Screen then displays processor info correctly and then system freezes. No RAM count begins and I can't enter the BIOS. I have tried unplugging all IDE's, clearing CMOS, remove MB from the case, removed all cards except AGP as it has no onboard video and swapping RAM. None have worked. The specs are Windows 2000 Pro, socket 478 Soyo board, 2.6 Intel Celeron 400fsb, 350 watt Antec power supply, 2 CD-Roms, 2 hard drives and the floppy. The only things I have not tried is swapping the CPU into another board or swapping CPU's as none are available to me. This board doesn't support the newer D's 533 bus speed. Any ideas as I am beginning to suspect either the board or CPU and just rebuild it.

Easy, buy a PC POST diag card from compusa, it will tell you exactly what the computer is hanging on.

A+ Computer Repair / Maryland Computer Repair
http://www.apcronline.com
Morgan

You've mentioned unplugging drives, but are you unplugging the power connectors from them as well as the data cables? You should disconnect both!

Also disconnect any cables from the motherboard for front panel items such as USB ports, audio sockets etc. You should leave only the power switch, power LED, and PC speaker connectors attached for a barebones system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.