Hi, I know you always are getting temperature related questions but here is one more :) Wondering if my new processor is getting too hot. It is a 3.0 GHz Northwood with a Spire Heatsink & Fan rated up to 3.4GHz. When I'm just using IE, skype, or other small programs it varies from 29º-31ºC....When using Half-Life 2, or editing video with Adobe Premiere Pro it jumps to 43-47ºC..

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Those temps are good. As long as your not going over 50 a lot you should be fine. If you see 50+ a lot you might want to consider a new case fan, or a new CPU fan or heatsink.

Personally, I'd only start worrying if it hits 60.

Do you have good case ventilation?

Personally, I'd only start worrying if it hits 60.

Do you have good case ventilation?

Hi Coconut, it is a cheap case but has a rear exhaust fan, a CPU exhaust, and I added another 80mm fan on the removable panel. It is a large case and has plenty of space for air to circulate.

Hi Coconut, it is a cheap case but has a rear exhaust fan, a CPU exhaust, and I added another 80mm fan on the removable panel. It is a large case and has plenty of space for air to circulate.

Sounds good then. Is the side panel fan blowing onto the expansion cards?

If you want to add another fan, then an intake at the front would do nicely.

Sounds good then. Is the side panel fan blowing onto the expansion cards?

If you want to add another fan, then an intake at the front would do nicely.

Yes the intake on the side is cooling the PCI/AGP card(s). I have one more fan leftover from a netfinity server so I will add that to the front.

Thanks

I personally dont think thats too much but its getting close to the limit. I prefer to see things under 50* when their under full load and your rig seems to be, but if your worried about it add some higher speed fans or a pci exhaust...Although rour pc will be undoubtably louder, it will be cooler :cheesy:

I personally dont think thats too much but its getting close to the limit. I prefer to see things under 50* when their under full load and your rig seems to be, but if your worried about it add some higher speed fans or a pci exhaust...Although rour pc will be undoubtably louder, it will be cooler :cheesy:

Yes, I have not hit 50 or over. Highest its been is 47*.

i didnt even think of this but what kind of past are you using? artic sliver 5 takes upto 200 hours to set up and give you the most efficient heat transfer....so you probably will go cooler in a few weeks if it is brand new :)

i didnt even think of this but what kind of past are you using? artic sliver 5 takes upto 200 hours to set up and give you the most efficient heat transfer....so you probably will go cooler in a few weeks if it is brand new :)

it's called thermal cool, or something like that

my cpu temprature even reached 58.c in summers but there is no good solution available to this problem.yopu can install an ac in the room for managing cpu temperature or otherwise install a nice bigheat sink.

Member Avatar for szukalski

If you want to lower it by a few degrees then you can make a funnel/tunnel from the hole in the side of the case to the heatsink fan.
This is basically a direct conduit for air flow from the outside of the case to the heatsink and ensures that you aren't pullin warm air from inside the case onto the heatsink.

If you want to lower it by a few degrees then you can make a funnel/tunnel from the hole in the side of the case to the heatsink fan.
This is basically a direct conduit for air flow from the outside of the case to the heatsink and ensures that you aren't pullin warm air from inside the case onto the heatsink.

You might find that these "duct mods" actually obstruct airflow in your case and really don't help at all.

My P4 530 (3.0) runs at 49c when its not doing anything (for example when i enter the BIOS page and leave it there) should i be worried then?

My P4 530 (3.0) runs at 49c when its not doing anything (for example when i enter the BIOS page and leave it there) should i be worried then?

ouch that is kindof hot...mine runs at about 50 under load...is yous a prescot though? that could be why, but you get a new heat sink if you are worried but i think that isnt too far off from normal with those chips cuz they do run hot

You might find that these "duct mods" actually obstruct airflow in your case and really don't help at all.

Seemed to work for me.
Then again, I have a few other duct mods than just the HSF one designed to route flow efficiently over my components.
Depends on your design I suppose.

I am not sure if its a presscot or not. When you guys apply the thermal paste, do you put a little in the middle of the CPU or spread it all over the CPU?.

Also what temps. are you running at Szukalski?

There seem to be two schools of thought on applying thermal paste.
Manufacturers of thermal paste recommend putting a "grain of rice" of paste in the middle of the cpu and letting the downward pressure from the heatsink spread it over the critical area of the processor. (Namely the middle).
Others don't "trust" using such a small amount of paste and layer it over the entire cpu.
I would follow the manufacturers and use a small amount of paste in the area where you want the heat to be dispersed. This will create a good contact between the heatsink and cpu, and will smooth out any inconsistencies in either the cpu or heatsink surfaces.
Thermal paste isn't used as a heat reducing compound by itself, more as a "filler" for any gaps between the two surfaces.

My system runs at 33 deg C, whilst my cpu is ~43 idle and ~52 under load.
I am overclocking my cpu though and my system is running a 260MHz front side bus.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.