hey,
so my zt1000 died. sometimes it will half boot up, most of the time it won't at all. all the lights come on, but no sound no screen. when it does actually boot, most of the time it won't make it past the windows xp splash screen, and when it does, it cuts off about 5 min after it's on. i've tried replacing all the ram, i've tried using a CRT, i've even tried formatting the HD and installing diff OS's. any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Sounds like what I just encountered. Wait- did you install any new software components? Because if it one day decided to die for no real reason, then I cannot really see why.

well lots of software changes actually... but like i said, i even went back to a clean OS with no more than default windows software installations.. mean anything to you?

hey,
so my zt1000 died. sometimes it will half boot up, most of the time it won't at all. all the lights come on, but no sound no screen. when it does actually boot, most of the time it won't make it past the windows xp splash screen, and when it does, it cuts off about 5 min after it's on. i've tried replacing all the ram, i've tried using a CRT, i've even tried formatting the HD and installing diff OS's. any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Hi Sirspyro,
You have a HP subnotebook? Mine's a zt1141s (Cel 1.2/20GBHDD) Three months before the extended warranty ended, I started having probs similar to what you describe and eventually just booted to a blue screen most of the time. To cut a long story short, They replace the 2x128 SODIMMS with 1X256 under the keyboard. Ha-ha, now I can't use the rear slot because its got a dry joint or something. When I tried to add a 512 SODIMM, the same prob again. I complained, they put in a new mainboard. Everything OK except the backslash key didn't work. Upgraded BIOS. Now all fine.
Your symptons seem to point to an emerging hardware fault. Ther are issues on other posts mentioned about this series having cpu cooling probs.

You could try:
1/ taking out the battery disconnect from mains and hold power button down for 1 minute. Put battery back in. Plug mains in

2/ Try to recover with original OS

3/ Look for a BIOS upgrade at hp.com

4/ Try removing one SODIMM at a time to see if the holder module has a dry solder joint.

Rgds

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.