Hey everyone this is my first post and unfortunatly its about me needing help. I am currently running Windows XP home edition version 2002 service pack 1, with intel pentium 4 cpu at 1.6GHz and 512 MB of ram. After installing a new driver for my keyboard the system would freeze and lock up upon startup. I went through a huge multitude of steps and eventually ended up in msconfig under services, I enabled and disabled every service (except required services) until i found plug and play was causing the system to lock up. I am not sure if the attempt at a new keyboard driver has anything to do with that or not, and im still in highschool so dont know enough about computers to understand how plug and play is related or can freeze up the system. I know this is a long post but any help would be appreciated. :o

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Plug-N-Play would definitely be part of the picture if the keyboard is USB; is it?

Also- it isn't usually necessary to add drivers for a keyboard. What make/model is the keyboard and what exact software for it did you install?

Plug-N-Play would definitely be part of the picture if the keyboard is USB; is it?

Also- it isn't usually necessary to add drivers for a keyboard. What make/model is the keyboard and what exact software for it did you install?

Sorry DMR i should have included that information. The keyboard is HP PS2 keyboard (2K - 3). So the keyboard is PS/2 and the software I installed was .. well im not exactly sure, I was on the HP site and stumbled across a keyboard driver update and i thought since i had never updated my keyboard driver before that I should and once I did all that happened. Could I have downloaded the wrong driver or could it have gotten corrupted somehow? But you also said that a USB keyboard would affect plug-n-play but what about, PS/2 ? Thanks for your time.

don't think you should have downloaded that driver. Perhaps it was for a different model? Was there anything wrong with your keyboard previously?

don't think you should have downloaded that driver. Perhaps it was for a different model? Was there anything wrong with your keyboard previously?

Lol yeah definatly having that sentiment right now ! And no ... no there wasnt.. feeling kinda stupid at the moment actually... and missing plug and play cuz it seems my speakers dont work without it enabled lol

Actually wait come to think of it.. none of my internet buttons or music buttons worked and i couldnt open the keyboard options from the control panel, thats why i downloaded the driver

There should have been software bundled with the keyboard for that...

There was originally but I had a severe hard drive problem about a month ago and had to send it in to get repaired, they had to replace the hard drive and they said they reinstalled the OS and everything required.. perhaps something was missed

DMR had said that plug and play was related to USB devices tho. I don't know why trying to install a new driver for the keyboard would mess up plug and play if its only for USB. And the keyboard is still working somehow.

So anybody with any more helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated, I have to sign off soon but if someone has even a partial solution I would be very happy to hear it.

Ok I just noticed something else, rundll32.exe was running as soon as I started to download and install the new driver and i know thats for installing new things on the computer and it extracts things from a temporary folder ( i think ne way :-| ) but I was looking in the task manager and it keeps randomly coming on and off since the keyboard problem. Is this related ? I thought rundll was supposed to disable itself after installation was complete?

Have you tried reinstalling the default driver? Using device manager - keyboard properties - Driver tab - update driver button, then next, select display a list of known drivers and finally choose Standard 101/102-key or MS Natural PS/2 Keyboard. Remember to turn back on your plug & play. If this fails try to first turn back on plug and play then go into device manager - same keyboard properties area and uninstall the keyboard and then reboot.
Good Luck!

yes when i get on the internet it try to freeze up on me and i can't see to get it un freeze can you help me out i have to repoot my internet back up can you help me out all tell me if you have something free that can help me out also i be getting the pop up come up steven_whiten

Hi steven_whiten,

While we definitely do appreciate help from new members, please check the dates on threads before you post a reply to them. This particular thread has been dormant for almost 1 year (meaning that the original thread-starter has not responded in that time)., and it just adds confusion to the forums in general when a member "wakes up" such a thread.

I'm closing this thread now, as it has obviously been "abandoned" by the member who originally started the thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.