My SmartDisk FireLite 60 GB Hard drive works with my mac laptop but is read-only on other mac computers. Is there any way to change to allow all computers to read/write?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I do not know a lot about macs but all computers have systems to read/ write up to a maximum size of HD. If your other macs are older and earier OS then they may not be able to read and write to very large disks.
M

Thanks for responding. But it's actually the opposite. The laptop that allows read/write access is actually an older OS, but the other computers are newer & larger (as is the OS system). All machines mount the HD fine, but the laptop that allow read/write access doesn't give me an option to allow other machines to write.

I do not know a lot about macs but all computers have systems to read/ write up to a maximum size of HD. If your other macs are older and earier OS then they may not be able to read and write to very large disks.
M

cant help further but you may look at the access permissions (some computers require levels of access eztc)?
M

Usually, you can open the "Get Info" dialog box and change the read/write permissions there, but in this case, it's grayed out. So, I'll probably just go back to the laptop & copy the files off the hard drive & run Disk Utility to erase the whole thing & re-format the HD like new. Thanks again!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.