i have a toshiba m305d-s4829 that i've had for almost 2 years. in the last month it has started overheating and shutting off when i look at anything with pics (or if i try to play farmtown on facebook...). i assume its the graphics card? it's an ati radeon but dunno the number. it's cooling down while i post from my phone... what the heck is causing this and how do i fix it? i have classes starting tuesday and this simply won't do.

Hello,

Check and see if the CPU cooling fan is working properly. You should feel air coming out of one of the vents on the back. In most cases you can look through the bottom of the case and see the fan and tell if it is spinning. If it is not spinning get it replaced ASAP. If it is clogged with dust or dirt by a can of compressed air and clean the vents. You can also get a laptop cooling pad with fans built in to help for around $10 - $20 at Fry's or other computer stores.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.