Shiroikage 0 Newbie Poster

This is an... odd error to say the least.

Earlier today, I had been working with a dead machine, likely the result of a dead motherboard, and I used some parts from another computer to test.

In a feat of unrivalled stupidity, I did not rehook the CPU fan to the motherboard. As I was working on it, it spontaneously shut off (a common occurrence with this particular computer). Thinking nothing of it, I turned the computer on once more to find that the monitor's settings (unfortunately, the kind you adjust directly on the monitor), had been drastically changed, i.e. Blurred and very bright yellow. Unable to discover the problem, granted, having found it now, I restarted a few times to find only more surreal displays, i.e. blue, purple, dark, light. Any attempt to change the monitor's settings with the monitor controls, resulted in a new random change in contrast and hue.

Having rehooked the fan, the problem has decreased slightly. However, I am still unable to change any of the settings on the monitor, which still results in random hue and contrast changes. Moreover, these settings have a new tendency to randomly change.

The simple question I have is what seems to be damaged. I should add that Device Manager finds no errors in the monitor or display adapter.

Specs: Can find more if needed:
Compaq MV540 monitor
Display adapter is an Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
Processor: 1200 MHz Intel Celeron

Very sorry for the request.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.