I am overwhelmed by the amout of video cards to choose from. I need some help. All i want to do is play games on my computer. I am not intrested in s video and dual outputs. i have found it only jacks the price up. I am looking for a video card that will play big games like doom 3 and what not.

Recommended Answers

All 46 Replies

Budget please? (And what currency it's in of course)

Your price range will determine what's available for you. A display card in at least the mid-price range is recommended for playing modern PC games.

errr.... uummm......

No, don't do that please. FX5200 is a poor choice, and is a card I'd recommend only for machines intended for desktop applications use, not gaming.

Well I was assuming that his budget was not big and he just wanted something basic. It runs really well, its no GeForce 6800 though if that is what your saying.

If Junior89 wants to play Doom 3 with an acceptable level of image quality and a decent framerate, then a FX5200 is not the card to buy!

If Junior89 wants to play Doom 3 with an acceptable level of image quality and a decent framerate, then a FX5200 is not the card to buy!

If you have roughly 200 to spend, i would DEFINATELY go with a geforce 6600gt. If you have enough money to get a decent geforce 6800gt that would be the optimal choice (somewhere in the neighborhood of 400, but you can probably find a decent one for 350).
Of course if yuou have the money, go with a geforce 6800ultra, or x800xt platinum edition.

Except for the top end ( the x800xt pe [platinum edition]), steer clear of ATI cards. They are not comparible in performance for the price, except for ATI's top end card, as I said. THe only exception to this rule is if your primary game is going to be half-life 2.

Also, if you are in a lower range than around 200. I would go for a Radeon 9800 pro, which you can get very reasonably these days. You wont have the newest shaders or the hottest performance, but it will definately run. I tested my friends 9800 pro 128mb in my machine, worked quite well. However, it did not come within leauges of my geforce 6800gt.

Bottom line: get the BFG 6800gt oc if you can afford to spend ~400.

errr.... uummm......

No, don't do that please. FX5200 is a poor choice, and is a card I'd recommend only for machines intended for desktop applications use, not gaming.

Hey, I just upgraded my Nvidia Geforce MX 420 (32mb) card with a (budget) Geforce FX 5200. You both are right about this card. I have played Need for speed: underground 2, Half-Life 2, Counterstrike: Source, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City...I was not very happy with how this card played NFS: underground (Low settings), but it plays all the othergames very well. Of course you can't max out the settings, and if you are a hard-core gamer (I'm not) than you should listen to JonnyBlazeXX and get a more expensive card. But if you just want to play these games, with what I would consider very good quality, the Geforce 5200 FX is decent card for good price.

Hey, I just upgraded my Nvidia Geforce MX 420 (32mb) card with a (budget) Geforce FX 5200. You both are right about this card. I have played Need for speed: underground 2, Half-Life 2, Counterstrike: Source, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City...I was not very happy with how this card played NFS: underground (Low settings), but it plays all the othergames very well. Of course you can't max out the settings, and if you are a hard-core gamer (I'm not) than you should listen to JonnyBlazeXX and get a more expensive card. But if you just want to play these games, with what I would consider very good quality, the Geforce 5200 FX is decent card for good price.

Not to take away by any means from what cdt1983 said. He makes a valid point. With a upper range system such as what he has, games are playable on a fx5200. However, I have a gainward fx5200 that i have trtied on my rig ( a tough higher in specs... so the video card is 100% guaranteed to be the bottleneck for everything) I tested the fx5200 because when I built my computer this summer, it was harder than hell to get ahold of a geforce6800gt for less than 450 dollars, and I didnt want a stuipd pny card.

But back to the fx5200. Yes, it is playable (tested doom3, farcry, unreal tournament 2004 etc. The game could definately run things fairly smooth, and because it is still in the fx series (even though the bottom of the line) it still had the shading technology as well as everything else offered int he fx line over the geforce 4 line. When cdt1983 says

But if you just want to play these games, with what I would consider very good quality, the Geforce 5200 FX is decent card for good price.

I just have to question what he considers to be good quality? The games do look ok, and are very playable... but there is much to be desired. Especially once you know what is out there. Upgrading to my friends 9800 pro trumped the fx5200 severely not only in being able to have higher resolution, a few more graphic settings, but also the nice ability to hvae anti-aliasing enabled to a small degree. As I jumped up to my geforce 6800gt, as I said, it is leagues ahead. I went from being able to run at 1024x768 at decent settings (other than in doom 3, which could not handle as too high of settings and still keep smooothness to it) to the 9800pro which would do things in the 1280x1024 range with similiar settings, but having antialiasing enabled. Then with the advance to the 6800gt, I was able to run farcry with settings maxed out in everyway, other than antialiasing (which i leave at 4x, to keep the game running smoothly), in doom 3 high graphic settings with everything enabled with max settings on the high setting with an antialiasing of 4 or 8 times.

There is truly a difference in video quality to be considered, but cdt1983 makes valid points in saying that the gaming is very playable and looks decent (ok he said pretty good but it is merely ok). If you can be happy with this.. then definately find a good geforce fx5200 in the 50-80 dollar range (although i highly recommend splurging to the 9800pro for 100 dollars!!)

-JonnyBlazexx

if your have $350 go Nvidia 6800GT no questions asked. It can VERY EASILY be overcloked to an Ultra for $200 cheaper.

it is the best card for the buck period.

heres a run down

6800GT $389 overclocks easily to a 6800Ultra ,Ultra outperforms a X800XT

X800XT $474 overclocks easily to a X800Xt PE, X800XT PE outperforms a 6800Ultra in most cases

Just remember that overclocking isn't always guaranteed to work. While many people may report successes, you shouldn't assume that your card will manage the same.

well on paper 150Mhz and 100Mh doesnt seem like that much extra strain on the gpu and ram.

heres a run down

6800GT $389 overclocks easily to a 6800Ultra ,Ultra outperforms a X800XT

X800XT $474 overclocks easily to a X800Xt PE, X800XT PE outperforms a 6800Ultra in most cases

These figures are all wrong... haha. :( the prices... comparisons, overclocking, its all wrong!

Do not listen to these figures!!

Overclocking this much is NOT a task to take on lightly, nor is stability NEAR as good as it should be.

wow man the prices are right off newegg, what are you talking about they are not right.

and those figures are if you Oc the card, you dont need to but thats what it would most likely be.

Not to take away by any means from what cdt1983 said. He makes a valid point. With a upper range system such as what he has, games are playable on a fx5200. However, I have a gainward fx5200 that i have trtied on my rig ( a tough higher in specs... so the video card is 100% guaranteed to be the bottleneck for everything) I tested the fx5200 because when I built my computer this summer, it was harder than hell to get ahold of a geforce6800gt for less than 450 dollars, and I didnt want a stuipd pny card.

But back to the fx5200. Yes, it is playable (tested doom3, farcry, unreal tournament 2004 etc. The game could definately run things fairly smooth, and because it is still in the fx series (even though the bottom of the line) it still had the shading technology as well as everything else offered int he fx line over the geforce 4 line. When cdt1983 says I just have to question what he considers to be good quality? The games do look ok, and are very playable... but there is much to be desired. Especially once you know what is out there. Upgrading to my friends 9800 pro trumped the fx5200 severely not only in being able to have higher resolution, a few more graphic settings, but also the nice ability to hvae anti-aliasing enabled to a small degree. As I jumped up to my geforce 6800gt, as I said, it is leagues ahead. I went from being able to run at 1024x768 at decent settings (other than in doom 3, which could not handle as too high of settings and still keep smooothness to it) to the 9800pro which would do things in the 1280x1024 range with similiar settings, but having antialiasing enabled. Then with the advance to the 6800gt, I was able to run farcry with settings maxed out in everyway, other than antialiasing (which i leave at 4x, to keep the game running smoothly), in doom 3 high graphic settings with everything enabled with max settings on the high setting with an antialiasing of 4 or 8 times.

There is truly a difference in video quality to be considered, but cdt1983 makes valid points in saying that the gaming is very playable and looks decent (ok he said pretty good but it is merely ok). If you can be happy with this.. then definately find a good geforce fx5200 in the 50-80 dollar range (although i highly recommend splurging to the 9800pro for 100 dollars!!)

-JonnyBlazexx

JonnyBlaze, I think you have convinced me to upgrade to the 9800pro. My friends needs a card and his PC will be fine with FX 5200. I just got Doom 3 and you make the 9800pro sound a lot better. I'll have to shop around for it.

wow man the prices are right off newegg, what are you talking about they are not right.

and those figures are if you Oc the card, you dont need to but thats what it would most likely be.

Sorry I was not trying to dis you or anything. honestly! :)

But the prices are way off. Those are for the cheapie cards. and that goes hand in hand with crappy overclocking. BFG is known for making pretty stable cards, thats why I bought one of theirs.. I can overclock to near ultra speeds... i could flash the bios and overclock it to true ultra speeds... but even with the HUGE heatsinks and dual fans.. i dont think its a good option. Just wanted to let everyone know that. Yes, people have DONE it, but it isnt very realistic to buy a gt and say you are going to overclock it to an ultra and expect it to perform all that well. In fact as I got closer and closer to overclocking to ultra.. weird things were happening, artificats... sometimes even a general slow down.

THe term: "you get what you pay for" isnt always true, as we all know, but for the most part, if you pay a lot less for a cheaper board you will get what you pay for. Dont go PNY! :lol:

at newegg... cheapest 6800gt is 389 (that I could find) if the price is anylower it is a card with less memory most likely. but anyways.. i would definately say for 25 dollars more to get my BFG 6800gt OC or a gainward card. Asus makes good stuff too. I mean most card companies are good, just dont get PNY, seriously, or EvGA. very awesome reviews from people who DO reviews.. not just amateurs like myself, and I find myself to be a better source then most little kids running around on the intenret these days. I only have my limited real life experience to run off of though.

JonnyBlaze, I think you have convinced me to upgrade to the 9800pro. My friends needs a card and his PC will be fine with FX 5200. I just got Doom 3 and you make the 9800pro sound a lot better. I'll have to shop around for it.

I am glad that you liked what I had to say! Again, i hope i did not offend you using your fx5200 for comparison. I just had my real life experience with mine. I think its a fine card. As long as you have a computer with pretty beefy specs (such as yours) it runs pretty fine. But there is, as I stated the image quality to be considered.

Also when you consider doom 3, I did have my amd 64 3500+, my gig of ocz eb ram, and my raptor 10000 rpm harddrives, to help in running it with the 9800pro. But i do belivee it to be a quality card for the money. My friends 9800 that he bought (i am the one who convinced him to get it originally. hah, but he was 100% happy) was about 100 bucks, it was i believe.. just a straight up one from ATI.

NOTE!! :!: :!: :!: :!: wow, I just looked at newegg. the prices are insane!! 165 is the cheapest for an oem ATI card. That is DEFINATELY more than my friend paid. I do not know why there would be arise in price? I am at an utter loss for words. I guess you will have to reevaluate this added cost. I do not know that i could reccommend that so easily now. Thats quite a jump. I will have to do some more research and thinking and get back to you.

Something else, rcrevolution was saying that you could simply overclock a 6800GT or X800XT to 6800ultra and X800 PE. This is semi-true, if you know what your doing and you have good cooling, you should be able to overclock 6800GT's and X800XT's to run about as fast as a 6800ultra or X800 PE. However, he neglected to mention that if you did go for an ultra or PE, those can be overclocked just as much.

yes but we started talking about the gt so i purposly didnt mention the high end cards.

what about XFX are they any good?

I would just like to caution you, overclocking is never safe, and there is no such thing as overclocking a card into another card with different architecture. Also, those prices on newegg are messed up. 420 for an out of stock card, compared to 400 for a BFG OC at best buy 5 mins away from my house ;)

well on paper 150Mhz and 100Mh doesnt seem like that much extra strain on the gpu and ram.

You'd be surprised.

boy mokey likes one sentence answers

NOTE!! :!: :!: :!: :!: wow, I just looked at newegg. the prices are insane!! 165 is the cheapest for an oem ATI card. That is DEFINATELY more than my friend paid. I do not know why there would be arise in price?

9800 Pros are in short supply at the moment, as reported here, so I wouldn't be too surprised at any prices rises. Mind you, that newegg price seems about right for US dollars. :confused:

Might I suggest an AGP 6600GT instead? Superior performance in most games (unless you really crank up the resolution and graphical detail, which likely results in unplayable framerates anyway).

monkey , dont you think that a 6600GT is only worth it if its pci-e, those card only seem to perform decently at pci-e

Actually there is zero difference CURRENTLY between pci-e and AGP 8X. No difference. None. 0%. pci-e may have 4 times as much bandwidth as AGP 8X, but todays applications don't even use all the bandwidth that AGP has to offer. Obviously in a couple years this may change, but currently the pci-e has no performance increase over AGP.

Quite correct oenone. And I'd suggest that by the time the bandwidth available can make a difference, I'd suggest that people wouldn't be using a 6600GT to use with it ;)

I dont even care, I just finished ordering a 6800GT and a 200Gb Sata HDD, my gaming pc is finished

blazexx dont you think getting a already overclocked video card isnt a good idea? it is already extra strain added to the card and it doesn't allow for much overclocking if you want to do it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.