Hello all,

My monitor has suddenly begun cutting completely off (no power at all) after a few minutes. (I have an old Optiquest V95, 19 inch)

When it cuts off, if I wait long enough (20 minutes or so) I can restart it.

What is wierd (and possibly irelevent) is that I can restart it immidiately if I unplug the power cord from BOTH the monitor and the outlet, and then plug it back in. It doesn't work if I only unplug from the monitor or only unplug from the outlet. Weird, eh?

Oh, one last thing. I'm still using the monitor (its the only one I have) to type this and try to research what the problem is, and the time the monitor works until it cuts off seems to be slowly going down. (don't have a huge sample size to judge this, however.)

any ideas? Should I cash out and get a new one?

thanks in advance,

12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by RGPHNX

Hi mcsluggo,
from what you describe.. it sounds like the monitor is going bad..but before you rush out & get a new one... do ALL the following.
Use an extension cord to powerup your computer from another (different) house/wall outlet.
If that doesn't solve it..then..
Do a complete monitoR/video troubleshooting. You can use the charts at my website to guide you thru it..step-by-step.
Post back here with the results OR if you need more help.
Good Luck :)

You were correct, my old friend monitor set sail to the perpetual gardens <snif>

Thanks alot for the advice!

Hi again mcsluggo,
Sorry to hear th old monitor is kaput. :sad: May it RIP.
On the bright side.. you learned a new skill (re: troubleshooting) by using the charts.
Glad to be of help. :)
ps- Thanks for not "shooting the messenger".

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.