I have just installed a new motherboard, new DDR RAM and a new 350w power supply into my pc. When i switch the pc on and try to install a fresh copy of XP around 5mins of the install the computer just dies.

i left it for a bit, switched it back on and went into BIOS and noticed that my CPU temp was an AMAZING 80c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i didnt even no it cud go this high. I have the headsink and fan, i also have an extra fan on the chasis and an extractor fan.

I have build pcs before but never come across this problem!
Any help would be aprreciated :D

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Did you use Thermal paste? Have you gotten your Heatsink on right? Is the fan on the heatsink running?

Those are just a few things I could think of. To isolate the issue, try running the system with the case side off, turn off all of the case fans, and just let the fan on the heatsink run. The key is just to make sure you've got good, even contact, and a thin layer of thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink. If you didn't replace your CPU, be sure to clean the old paste off the chip, and reapply new thermal paste.

I have just installed a new motherboard, new DDR RAM and a new 350w power supply into my pc. When i switch the pc on and try to install a fresh copy of XP around 5mins of the install the computer just dies.

i left it for a bit, switched it back on and went into BIOS and noticed that my CPU temp was an AMAZING 80c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i didnt even no it cud go this high. I have the headsink and fan, i also have an extra fan on the chasis and an extractor fan.

I have build pcs before but never come across this problem!
Any help would be aprreciated :D

get thermal paste then buy a new fan or case what kind of case do you have

did you take the plastic strip off the bottom of the heatsink?

yea wot they said, lol
try and raise the speed of the fan mabe aswell in the bios to giv ya more of a chance of gettin tht xp installed? and if theres already thermal paste and thts not the problem then sumthins really not right but it must b tht

Wow... way to resurrect a dead thread, guys! ;)

lol i think i will put in my contribution.....did ya try thermal paste? lol

cpu seated correctly? the thermomiters in cpu's arn't very accurate anyway

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.