Hi, my name is Ivi and I'm new here and have a lot of questions... I have to tell you I know nothing about computers :cry: so please, be nice to me !!! My question is probably dumb and I'm not even sure if this is the right forum to be in !

Anyway, I have a Compaq laptop and I use it a lot. When I was living with a roomate, I had my laptop wireless, she had a desk computer on her bedroom and I had a card on my laptop and we shared the internect connection. No problem with that, I could use my laptop anywhere in the house, even in the basement.

Now, I'm living by myself and because of cable conection to Internet, I have to leave it on my desk all the time. Is there anyway to me to have it wireless again WITHOUT having another computer in my home? I mean, I won't have any kind of network and I won't be sharing my internet connection with anybody, I just want to have flexibility to move around the house with my laptop (using internet of course).

That's making crazy, not only because I can't use it anywhere but my bedroom, but also because I don't know if that can be done and nobody seems to understand what I need. So please tell me I am not that stupid !!!

Is it possible? What do I have to do?

Thanks a lot !!!

I believe you need a wireless router plugged into your network cable, and then you connect wirelessly to the router, yes?

I believe you need a wireless router plugged into your network cable, and then you connect wirelessly to the router, yes?

Get a Wireless G router, 54.... and you Compaq Lap should find the network automatically... the router took 3 minutes to hook up and the software comes with it...it's ez... :p

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.