My comp is not up to date wich you may find obvious when i tell you the specs later. And since it is not up to date I want to get it up to date. But I don't know if I should buy a whole new comp or get more ram. (I only realy play WarCraft3 and World Of Warcraft)

I just want it so it doesn't lag but buying a new comp mite be better then getting more ram, so thats where I need your help.

Use these specs for now ask for more later. (I don't know what you need..)
System:
Microsoft Windows ME
.....(stuff u dont need to know)...
Cicero Electronics Inc.
AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon[tm] Processor
192.0MB RAM
I bought this comp for 80 bucks so dont make fun of me :D

I Also have a Geforce 2 MX400
Bought it for 5 bucks :D

So can somone please advise me on what to do?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

double your ram and you should be ok. also what about getting a graphics card with 256mb ram of its own (min)

k, ill see the how much this is going o add up to...

k, ill see the how much this is going o add up to...

where u from? if from the uk then a good ol radeon 9250 series agp card should suffice you for graphics. for memory you can pick up a 512 mb stick for £60 upwards (for decent stuff that is):D

What speed is you AMD processor at?

Consider Windows XP version Windows ME (not a very stable or memory useful operating system)!

also what about getting a graphics card with 256mb ram of its own (min)

He probably would have to set the graphics at low with that system, especially if the cpu isnt a recent one, so 256mb would be useless. 128mb would be enough if you dont do any drastic changes.

where u from? if from the uk then a good ol radeon 9250 series agp card should suffice you for graphics.

A graphics card as outdated as this would possibly give you a decent frame rate but a low settings. Theres one at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814166002 for 30$ (128bit and 128mb).

I dont think it's very useful to spend too much money on an old PC so it might not be bad to add some ram and buy a cheap video card if you can get along with that.

I agree with the point on the video card.

What speed is you AMD processor at?

Where do you check?

Consider Windows XP version Windows ME (not a very stable or memory useful operating system)!

Yes but I can't afford a new operating system. (Isn't windows xp like 300 dollars?)

P.S. Im canadian stuff costs more :(

If you download this it will provide you with all the information you should need about your computer specs.

http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dleverest.html

When the program opens click on computer, and then summary. Please tell us what it says for CPU type, and mother board name. If you look to the left there is a menu, and under motherboard you will find SPD, click on this and tell us what the "device description" says.

He probably would have to set the graphics at low with that system, especially if the cpu isnt a recent one, so 256mb would be useless. 128mb would be enough if you dont do any drastic changes.

A graphics card as outdated as this would possibly give you a decent frame rate but a low settings. Theres one at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814166002 for 30$ (128bit and 128mb).

I dont think it's very useful to spend too much money on an old PC so it might not be bad to add some ram and buy a cheap video card if you can get along with that.

hmm good point belama.. however if this graphics card is outdated then why are they still widely available in England. i have two of them installed into machines and one waiting to be installed later on today.

I have an ancient P4 1.6Ghz with 352Mb RAM with one of these cards in it. by disabling the onboard and using an addin i've also found that the system RAM has been slightly freed up.:)

hmm good point belama.. however if this graphics card is outdated then why are they still widely available in England. i have two of them installed into machines and one waiting to be installed later on today.

I have an ancient P4 1.6Ghz with 352Mb RAM with one of these cards in it. by disabling the onboard and using an addin i've also found that the system RAM has been slightly freed up.:)

Its true there are still some of those cards on the maket. They make a very good choice for low-end systems for people that dont need too much video power. If there were only high-end cards, people who want a card but dont need too much power wouldnt be too happy, would they? ;)

If there were only high-end cards, people who want a card but dont need too much power wouldnt be too happy, would they? ;)

well i certainly wouldnt be:D being that i dont earn a great deal anyway, i just save up and buy as i go along.

saying that though one of the machines i've built has been valued at over £800 (not sure what that is in dollars). it has one of these cards in it.

the high end cards work out to about £300+ over here;)

You can convert currencies here http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=1&from=GBP&to=CAD&submit=Convert

The high end cards in Canada are around 600$ to 800$ so it's about the same as in UK. The 9250 is about 50$CAN. 800 pounds for a computer seems resonable but what other hardware does it have? My computer (only the tower and its content) has cost me about a value of 1000 pounds before taxes. Most of what is in the box is on my sig.

You can convert currencies here http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=1&from=GBP&to=CAD&submit=Convert

The high end cards in Canada are around 600$ to 800$ so it's about the same as in UK. The 9250 is about 50$CAN. 800 pounds for a computer seems resonable but what other hardware does it have? My computer (only the tower and its content) has cost me about a value of 1000 pounds before taxes. Most of what is in the box is on my sig.

its got some power. nnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccceeeeeeeeee one.:D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.