After fixing my own computer shorting troubles, my friend's custom has a newfound issue relating, apparently, to hard drives. One day, approximately a month ago, his computer shut down during a defrag. He had a Quantum Fireball 14GB (IDE, naturally), and I found it unsurprising for the drive to have a write issue. Until recently he used this drive, often resulting in random shutdowns, even during the startup.
We found it best to get a new drive, a SATA Seagate 80GB. After the BIOS loaded, it recognized the new drive, but after attempting to give it a Windows XP Professional SP1 and a SP2 installation, it crashed. It was at the partitioning/reformat menu in which this happened. After several attempts, it seemed there was no way to get past this point of installation. We even tried to reformat the Fireball, if that would solve some sort of problem. However, the installation failed in the same location.
-Kingston HyperX 512MB RAM
-PNY Tech nVidia GeForce FX 5700
-Quantum Fireball 14GB IDE?/Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA?

Check Voltage On Powersupply Make You Get 12v And 5v Isn't Low If It Isn't Try Re Flashing Motherboard Could Be A Bad Bios Or Reset, If All Doesn't Work Replaced Motherboard. ( To Reflash Download On Another Computer Bios Updated From Manufacter Site And Use Windows 98 Startup Disk Can Download This To Can't Use Windows Xp Disk. And Load Second Floopy Disk Which Is Where You Would Put Bios On Then Located In Dir Where Your Flash Program Is And Flash It.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.