I have a Windows XP Toshiba laptop and lateley my CD burner has'nt been working. I tryed using three seperate programs so far (Windows Media Player, Drag'n Drop CD+DVD, and Realplayer) to burn audio tracks or data to a CD, but they haven't worked. Everytime I start up my computer I get a message that says something like "to enable DVD burning, you must disable CD burning. Would you like to disable this feature? (yes/no). I click no but CD burning still does not work. Same thing if I click yes. I get this message whenever I try to burn a CD too. I also tried using the control panel to disable DVD burning (Control panel\System\System Properties\Hardware\Device Manager\DVD/CD-ROM Drives\MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-811) by configuring the property, "device usage", to disable. This too was to no avail. Also now my CD drive isn’t working for some reason although my DVD drive still works. Can anybody help me out with this please?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Un pulg bpth devices, boot up. So they are not there and delete all the hardware set ups for the, from add remove hardware.
Then shut down plugem back in and your good to go the problem should no longer persist. Dont forget to touch the power supply and un plug it when opening case. Static will screw you over.

Un pulg bpth devices, boot up. So they are not there and delete all the hardware set ups for the, from add remove hardware.
Then shut down plugem back in and your good to go the problem should no longer persist. Dont forget to touch the power supply and un plug it when opening case. Static will screw you over.

Thanks, but can you please explain this more clearly? I have to open the case of my laptop?

it is strange to get a message on startup! have you tried re-installing the drivers from the CD that came with it? (or using a windows default (not recommended)). If it is under warunty (spelling) DONT TOUCH IT, just take it back to where it was sold to you and explain the problem. My brother learned this the hard way and bought a flash new case to start upgrading his PC. soon after he fried the PSU and motherboard by shorting some connection in the plug on the PSU (thats what he said, but i know he was messing about with wires to install fans ;)) because he had opened the old case (to get the components out) his warunty was void. Luckilly another brother of mine has a hardware qualification and random MS certifications so he was able to get it up and running again. If you opened the laptop and did something wrong you will have little/NO comeback with the retailers!

it is strange to get a message on startup! have you tried re-installing the drivers from the CD that came with it? (or using a windows default (not recommended)). If it is under warunty (spelling) DONT TOUCH IT, just take it back to where it was sold to you and explain the problem. My brother learned this the hard way and bought a flash new case to start upgrading his PC. soon after he fried the PSU and motherboard by shorting some connection in the plug on the PSU (thats what he said, but i know he was messing about with wires to install fans ;)) because he had opened the old case (to get the components out) his warunty was void. Luckilly another brother of mine has a hardware qualification and random MS certifications so he was able to get it up and running again. If you opened the laptop and did something wrong you will have little/NO comeback with the retailers!

Wow, that does sound like a ride. Yeah, I wouldn't open my computer anyway being that I'm 14 with little hardware experience, plus the fact that my dad would murder me. To answer your question, the warrenty ran out already. Luckily the disk that came with my system happens to be a DVD (The CD drive isn't working) so I'm gunna try it out now.

EDIT: I just tryed the DVD and there doesn't seem to be any drivers for my CD-RW/DVD-RW/CD/DVD drive (Its all four in one).

ok good luck with it! Otherwise it might be a case of a take-it-out-and-put-it-in-again like sphyenx said!

ok good luck with it! Otherwise it might be a case of a take-it-out-and-put-it-in-again like sphyenx said!

If you read my edit above, the DVD that helps restore my system didn't work, so does this mean I acually have to open my laptop up? I don't think I have enough experience for that.

If you read my edit above, the DVD that helps restore my system didn't work, so does this mean I acually have to open my laptop up? I don't think I have enough experience for that.

I don't know if it helps but when I click on My Computer when I have a CD in I get the message:

"D:\ is not accessible. The request could not be completed because of an I/O device error."

You learn from what you do. Try it, any way screw the drive lol. Just open it,jsut make sure you touch something metal before hand. Also not many PC's come with driver CD's anymore. I purchased two new drives nor came with a disk. Any way jsut unplug the cables to the disk drive,and boot up. Delete the hardware profiles from add/remove hardware, then shut down and reinstall the device. Just liek i said toucxh metal before hand, you fry your pc, i dont want to get yelled at.

You learn from what you do. Try it, any way screw the drive lol. Just open it,jsut make sure you touch something metal before hand. Also not many PC's come with driver CD's anymore. I purchased two new drives nor came with a disk. Any way jsut unplug the cables to the disk drive,and boot up. Delete the hardware profiles from add/remove hardware, then shut down and reinstall the device. Just liek i said toucxh metal before hand, you fry your pc, i dont want to get yelled at.

Its A laptop!! not much to open on most ,and not a lot of metal ..

!! Anyway try this ,right click on mycomputer ,/hardware /device manager /hit the + next to cdrom devices and remove or delete whats there,reboot windows and it will reload the drives needed ,see what hapens could be that you drive is Dead !!

Its A laptop!! not much to open on most ,and not a lot of metal ..

!! Anyway try this ,right click on mycomputer ,/hardware /device manager /hit the + next to cdrom devices and remove or delete whats there,reboot windows and it will reload the drives needed ,see what hapens could be that you drive is Dead !!

Yeah, I don't think I have enough experience to open it anyway. I already tryed the uninstall and reinstall thing so i guess this means my drive is dead, as was suggested on a few other help forums. :sad:

So should I just ask my dad to take it to a shop or is there any other solution that won't cause my computer to be taken away for a week?

By the way, thanks for the help guys.

Yeah, I don't think I have enough experience to open it anyway. I already tryed the uninstall and reinstall thing so i guess this means my drive is dead, as was suggested on a few other help forums. :sad:

So should I just ask my dad to take it to a shop or is there any other solution that won't cause my computer to be taken away for a week?

By the way, thanks for the help guys.

wait, I have a DVD/CD drive combination but DVDs still work. Is it possible for onlt the CD drive part to be dead?

no, cause is all in one lense from what ive seen inside.

I have a Windows XP Toshiba laptop and lateley my CD burner has'nt been working.

Try checking in the properties of the dvd drive to see if the "Enable CD Recording on this drive" box is checked. If it is checked you will only be able to burn CDs. It must be clear to be able to burn a DVD.

My Computer-
right click on DVD drive
Properties
Recording tab
clear the "Enable CD Recording on this drive" box

Toshiba has a technical doc about this on their support sight.

Also make sure you have the drive (device) enabled in the Control Panel /Device Manager where you mentioned.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.