Gyurika 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,
I am doing it again, let me start at the end game:
I put my old harware in my wife's case, and now it boots with my old SATA drive. But I can not see her original (IDE) drive, which was of course also a bootable XP. WHAT TO DO NOW?
The way I got here is, that I upgraded my computer, but it did not boot Windows. I was told to get a fresh drive fresh XP install, and then just copy over what I needed. I did that. However my computer could see the old drives only in BIOS (and Device Manager or Disk Management...) but not in My Computer - that is in Windows. So now I migrated the old mobo to my wife, my old boot disk boots with the old mobo, but my wife's original drive does not show. If I keep doing this, there always will be a maximum of n-1 drive I can boot up, with the last family member always out of luck...
If I can boot from one drive, does it matter that the other drive is bootable as well? Do I have to boot from floppy like a Partition Magic rescue disk, and then eliminate the "bootable" from the second drive's partition? Is there anything simpler or what are my limitations here?
The one time I could boot with both drives , it practically grinded to a halt after a few minutes, so something was getting into a conflict...
Lotsa questions, but lotsa gratitude too.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.