When plugged in the battery light comes on but none of the battery lights are lit. When you push the power button the fan comes for a second or two and stops. The wifi lights start blinking then and the power light is on but it does nothing else, nothing on the screen. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Does it have Nvidia graphics by any chance? If so, then that's the cause and the GPU will need to be reflowed!

Remove all RAM memory and start the machine. The POST should signal "no memory installed".

If nothing happens POST can't run due to a hardware issue - meaning the motherboard is probably toast.

If POST does run, start with 1 RAM memory module and try in in different memory banks. If you only have 1 memory module, try swapping / replacing it.

If that doesn't help - remove all devices such as battery, wireless network card, harddisk, CD/DVD bay etc till you have a barebone laptop. Then try again, when it runs start placing devices back 1 at a time.

I'm out of town for a couple days now, I'll try it when I get home and post back with the results. Thanks!

Remove all RAM memory and start the machine. The POST should signal "no memory installed".

If nothing happens POST can't run due to a hardware issue - meaning the motherboard is probably toast.

If POST does run, start with 1 RAM memory module and try in in different memory banks. If you only have 1 memory module, try swapping / replacing it.

If that doesn't help - remove all devices such as battery, wireless network card, harddisk, CD/DVD bay etc till you have a barebone laptop. Then try again, when it runs start placing devices back 1 at a time.

I tried removing the RAM and it made no difference. It does not power up, all three of the lights, caps lock, number lock, and one with an arrow on it and flash and that's it. Looks like it needs a motherboard.

A problem like that is sometimes caused by poor soldering on the chipset. A reflow of the chipset is the cure but should only really be done by a professional!

A problem like that is sometimes caused by poor soldering on the chipset. A reflow of the chipset is the cure but should only really be done by a professional!

While I don't consider myself any kind of computer repair professional, I may try it since it doesn't look like I could break the laptop any more than it is.

You will need a high temperature heat gun and a laser thermometer to do the job. You need to make sure you don't heat the chips above 230 degrees C.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.