I recently had a home server go down that was running a raid 0 array. The motherboard went out and my backup isn't current. Is the array recoverable? There are a few articles out there that discuss array migration, in this case would I be looking at essentially a array migration? So long as the new motherboard has a controller that is capable of seeing the array should a Window's Repair do the trick? If not does anyone have a suggestion as to what else I can try? Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If the motherboard has the same controller it might recognize it, but raid arrays can be temperamental in situations like this. There are programs that can supposedly recompile a broken raid array, but I've never tried them personally.

The last post is correct. If the array was working off of a separate controller card then move the card with the drives. IF not you will need to find a motherboard with the same RAID chip set as your dead system and if possible the same BIOS version. RAID 0 means that the data is spread across the disks so you have to have both of themto get to the data.

If it is not a separate controller card and you can't find a matching board you might want to look into R-studio for the recovery. It has options for identifying the two drives without the RAID controller and re-aligning them for recovery.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.