Last night i cleaned my pc by taking off a lot of dust. i disassemble it, processor, processor fan, heat sink, video card (heat sink and fan) hard disk and i even replaced the head sink paste. i used to do that once in a while, about twice a year or if i have spare time. everything are ok then but last night was a nightmare. i've already tried what dogbreath077 has said on this forum and even ask my friends, but nothing seems to be going on my favor. Nothing appears but the floating no video input. Does this mean that the motherboard is already the problem? PLEASE HELP!

Steps DID:
Make sure all cables and devices are properly installed.
Replace monitor.
Remove video card and use onboard video.
Replace VGA cable.
Jumper reset and take off the motherboard battery. (Desperate move)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Last night i cleaned my pc by taking off a lot of dust. i disassemble it, processor, processor fan, heat sink, video card (heat sink and fan) hard disk and i even replaced the head sink paste. i used to do that once in a while, about twice a year or if i have spare time. everything are ok then but last night was a nightmare. i've already tried what dogbreath077 has said on this forum and even ask my friends, but nothing seems to be going on my favor. Nothing appears but the floating no video input. Does this mean that the motherboard is already the problem? PLEASE HELP!

Steps DID:
Make sure all cables and devices are properly installed.
Replace monitor.
Remove video card and use onboard video.
Replace VGA cable.
Jumper reset and take off the motherboard battery. (Desperate move)

First of all, I hope you always use a grounding wrist strap when you're inside your computer. Otherwise static electricity can fry components. Of course, that horse is already out of the barn.

Based on what you've written, the problem is likely hardware related. The one thing you haven't mentioned above is trying another video card. If that doesn't help, I need to think about your problem a bit more.

One final Hail Mary would be to boot into safe mode. I once encountered a "no video" problem which I could fix by removing some startup files. Booting into safe mode allowed me to remove some starup problems.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply my friend. I was also thinking about using another video card but unfortunately, I don't have a spare. I also thought about reformatting my pc but I cannot get through the CMOS to boot from a CD or select on safe mode, 'coz I only see is the no video input on my screen. Anything else in mind that I should do?

Are you getting an unusual number or pattern of beeps when you start your computer?

Are you hitting the F1 or Esc key of whatever your computer needs to get to CMOS before starting Windows? Or are you trying to get to the CMOS in some other way?

If you cannot get through to the CMOS, it is likely that your motherboard is expecting a video card. (Switching to onboard video usually requires a CMOS setting change)

Have you tried moving your existing video card to a different slot? That would eliminate the slot as a variable.

Another rare solution is to clean the contacts of the video card itself. Sometimes even oil from fingers can cause a poor connection. An old tried-and-true solution is to use a pencil eraser to remove oil residue from card contacts. Of course you also use a soft, oil-free cloth to remove any eraser particles left on the contacts.

If none of the above helps, I would find a way to borrow or temporarily obtain a video card. The only other test would be to use your video card in a different computer to see if it works. Then you should get a better idea of whether the problem is the video card or the motherboard.

My only other suggestion for now would be to re-seat the RAM (using an anti-static wrist strap, of course)

Well I think the old tried and true solution - the pencil eraser do the trick. I did what you told me and whallaaa... it's working! I'm back in business my friend. Thank you so much for your help.

You are welcome. Maybe someday you can pass on some of these old tricks to others who encounter problems.

try to check if the cpu,ram correctly installed

This is already ok benmar. I'll check that once I encounter the problem again. Thank you for your comment my friend. :icon_cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.