Hi folks, I was pointed here by one of my more technical friends so my apologies if this is a ridiculous question... :o

Basically I've had my PC for many years, the spec of which was as follows:-

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-6712
BIOS: Version 07.00T
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce MX 440
Display Memory: 64.0 MB

Then I got annoyed at not being able to PvP or Raid while playing World of Warcraft so I upgraded the ram to 1Gb and all was well.

After that I got some freaky graphical issues with textures flickering, corrupted and disappearing so I asumed the GFX was on the way out. This hypothesis was also confirmed by a couple of people.

I then changed the card to an XFX Geforce 6200 256Mb about 2 months back.

I tried to log in on Wednesday and everything's fine initially but then the screen will freeze in-game and I'll start getting major graphical dissappearances similar to that of when I had the MX 440. The skybox dissappears, buildings and characters disappear, my GUI dissappears and intermittently everything comes back again before repeating.

It may simply be my Mobo/CPU dying or it may be some changes made to the WoW client on Wednesday but it seems weird it was ok before Wednesday.

I've tried the usual spew the WoW techs give you about deleting the WTF folder, clearing addons and even reinstalling WoW but no luck.

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'm just shooting in the dark here since I don't play WoW anymore, but I'm sure that, as they update the software, older systems will increasingly be unable to play the game. Your processor is fairly old and is most likely the current bottleneck to your system's gaming ability.

I'm just shooting in the dark here since I don't play WoW anymore, but I'm sure that, as they update the software, older systems will increasingly be unable to play the game. Your processor is fairly old and is most likely the current bottleneck to your system's gaming ability.

Thanks for your reply! I figured it may be the processor so I downloaded MSI Live Update 3 and updated my mobo drivers and the problem seems to have sorted itself.

Think I'll have a look into a new PC in the new year... :(

Yea, that only runs at 1.5, I need to be running at 3.0 for my gfx card to run. I would recommend buying a nice PC from Planet Computors ... cheap, and very nice. You could get a good one for $1,250.

Yea, that only runs at 1.5, I need to be running at 3.0 for my gfx card to run. I would recommend buying a nice PC from Planet Computors ... cheap, and very nice. You could get a good one for $1,250.

I'm in the UK so don't think Planet Computers will be good for me...

I actually like the look of the Power XS 6442 from Savastore:-

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10282655&pid=44&rstrat=0

Got rated best mid-range PC from Kustom PC Magazine in the uk for 3 months running...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.