I realize that there are some old posts on trying to upgrade this machine. I've done a clean install of Windows 2000 and the video display fills out only about half the screen. I've gone to Drivers.com and the Toshiba tech site and not been able to find anything that looks like a video displaydriver for Windows 2000 on this machine. I know there is one out there, because my nephew was able to find one before, but I no longer have access to it. Thanks for any suggestions.
Rod

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

gottular,

I'm guessing this is your display adapter: S3 Savage/IX M7 Graphics Controller with 8MB SDRAM, but rather than play a guessing game, you should find out for sure.

Follow this link, and instructions: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/index.jsp. Download the WinS3ID.EXE utility to determine your exact adapter. If you can't find it, please post the result and we'll help you locate it.

J_

One reason the display is not "stretched" is in the CMOS setup.
turn off machine. press and hold esc button, power up, when check sys appears press F1, look and see if display is on Stretch. Press END to save settings, reboot.

gottular,

I'm guessing this is your display adapter: S3 Savage/IX M7 Graphics Controller with 8MB SDRAM, but rather than play a guessing game, you should find out for sure.

Follow this link, and instructions: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/index.jsp. Download the WinS3ID.EXE utility to determine your exact adapter. If you can't find it, please post the result and we'll help you locate it.

J_

What I did after that step was to download the "generic" drivers that they offered on Savage's website. Unzipped them. Instead of the regular look for drivers in the directory I created, I forced windows to use the drivers. It warned against it but it also worked for me. My customer is not using this for anything high end and will probably not push the video very hard. It seems to be stable. Hope that helps some peeps out there!

Hardware guy out..

You can use the XP drivers just fine on win2k 95% of the time

Toshiba only has Windows ME drivers available for this unit.

try them. They might just work

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.