Thanks for the information. It still didn't solve the problem although when I first started the computer again, the fan speed was very slow and the computer shut down after about 10 seconds. I was encouraged by the change but when I started it up again, it was back to the constant (and annoying) full fan speed.

I'm trying to figure out how the fan is controlled with the idea that perhaps something was reset during the battery replacement. However, I don't have a clue. Any ideas? Assistance is much appreciated.

From your first post. Maybe the fan was reset when the battery change. Try using back the same battery and see whether it works. If it does not work, it seems that the batteries are not causing the problem but rather the fan since you have used back the same battery. Try taking it to a repair shop and have an expert look at it.

I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
Thanks

Thsi was why I wanted you to do a BIOS reset to check if the BIOS is controlling the fan proper?

Did you say it is a CPU as it would look like this.
http://www.pctechguide.com/images/tutorials/mboard/heatsink4.jpg

Thsi is why I needed a photo, as if it is running to fast on the CPU, then you may not have a secured connection on the CPU from the Heatsink. Hence why fan is constant.

If you are not a Techie, you might aswell take it to a repair place liek Jingda say's to rule out CPU fault and Motherbboard or PSU faults.

commented: WElcome back to daniweb, Bal. I thought you had quit for good. +9
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.