I am looking to purchase a new computer (old one took a dive but HD is ok) the new one has SATA drive with XP media suite and the old one has 2000 on it can I just plug the old one in to the ribbon and be good? :o

I remember hearing that they were not compatible. THANKS for any help!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Yeassir: Set IDE drive to slave, and see what happens. Also take note to setting "slave" jumper settings on the IDE drive. Your machine should be fine with using both, as my friend goes by the same situation.

To ensure better compatibility, I'd snoop around the BIOS to see if it has a specific boot order for IDE and SATA drives. If not, all should be well. Best of luck, tell me what happens, eh?

Yeassir: Set IDE drive to slave, and see what happens. Also take note to setting "slave" jumper settings on the IDE drive. Your machine should be fine with using both, as my friend goes by the same situation.

To ensure better compatibility, I'd snoop around the BIOS to see if it has a specific boot order for IDE and SATA drives. If not, all should be well. Best of luck, tell me what happens, eh?

THANKS, that is what I thought...but was not sure! Now my mind rests a bit easier...LOL :lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.