Hi,

I'm looking for a budget PC so I can run Skyrim and future games such as Mass Effect 3.

I've had a look at building myself the current spec I was looking is this:

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 £65
PSU: Ocz ModXstream 500w £48
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition £115
GPU: Asus AMD Radeon HD 6770 £77
RAM: Corsair 4gb Vengance Twin pack (8gb) £35
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB £73
DVD Drive: Sony AD-5260S-0B £14
Case: X-Case K13 £24

Total: £521

I was wondering if I could replace anything to keep the performance but drop the price as I was trying to get the price under £500? As when I originally started looking I want something around £400

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Well, I would up the power supply to 750W, and I personally prefer nVidia graphics cards to AMD Radeons. Nothing wrong with the Radeon video cards, it's just that I use Linux a lot and their drivers are just plain better for that. I only run Windows in a virtual machine, so I can't say what their game performance is like, other than what I read in various reviews. Those basically say that nVidia and AMD play leapfrog with each other in the price/performance game, so who is better/cheaper depends upon the day of the week... :-)

For what you are building, the 500w psu you have picked will do fine :).
I do not think the 6770 will be up to the job though if you want decent frame rates. A 6850 or 6870 would be a better choice.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.