Ok, I have an ASUS m4a7bt-e motherboard that had been working fine. One day it powered on but didn't boot.
The configuration of my pc is as follows:
8 gb ram
AMD six core cpu
1 tb HD
I'm using the onboard video
All cables are connected properly, the green led comes on when I press the power button, the fans come on, I can hear the hard drive spin up and I can press the open button on the blue ray player with no problem. The only piece of hardware that doesn't do anything is the cpu.
Here is what I did to troubleshoot:
- I unplugged all the unnecesary cables from the motherboard and the devices.
- I made sure that memory was properly inserted.
- I then powered up the pc and still no cpu activity.
- I cleared the cmos, no change.
- I then inserted a pci-e video card in and connected the monitor to it, no change (the monitor says no video regardless I use the onboard or pci-e card).
- I then let it run for a minute or two, powered off, unplugged the power cord, removed the heat sink and found that the cpu was not hot or warm.
- I then inserted the cpu into another motherboard (a gigabyte), no change. I then followed all the steps previously listed and still no change.
That doesn't sound like a bad motherboard. What are the chances that I have two motherboards that are bad?
Give me your thoughts as to if my assumption is correct or was my troubleshooting process not correct?
Thanks for you help