As the title says, my motherboard won't boot up but randomly boots up by itself!

Now a detailed explanation.
Firstly my motherboard is Asus P5GC-MX/1333. When I first got it, I had a 20-Pin PSU of 300W and I've used it for about 2 weeks. Then one day, when I came home I wanted to use my PC as always but this time it wouldn't boot up! I didn't know what to do, I opened my CPU and started staring at it, hoping to find a solution when suddenly, the motherboard boots up all by itself! It didn't load the BIOS though and it wouldn't even turn off so I had to turn off the power switch directly. Then I turned on the main switch and tried booting up the board again but it wouldn't boot up once again and after a while booted up by itself(BIOS not loaded once again). After a number of tries it finally booted up and loaded the BIOS normally and I was able to use the PC.

As the PC finally booted up normally, I took the chance to read the manual of the board in which I found that if a 20-pin PSU is used, a minimum of 350W is recommended! So the next day I bought a 20+4PIN PSU of 500W and connected everything. Back then, everything was working normally, motherboard booting up with BIOS loaded. The following day, I faced the same problem again and even today, before I could come online I faced the problem!

Now one thing is clear, the problem is not about the PSU cause its new and I feel is delivering enough power to the motherboard. Is it the motherboard, ram or something else like capacitors?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Could this be an issue with the power button itself, i.e. it is stuck or malfunctioning?

No, I tried to short-circuit the two pins on the board...still nothing

Is it the motherboard, ram or something else like capacitors?

you could remove the ram ,try booting ,if it boots you should get contisous beep sound ,you can visually check you capacitors for bulging or leaking tops .

still nothing...the board won't boot up at all! i just want to know if it can be repaired...

sure ,if there a shop around you that repairs motherboards .

remove all addin cards ,if any in it , ,like video ,network ,sounf modem ,ect ect , also seen bios stop a board from booting ,remove the bios battery for about 5 min ,then replace ,of if you can see the bios rest pins[usually near the battery ] just use them to reset bios to defaults ,

tried to reset the bios also...still the same! I guess i'll have to take it for repair! :/

tried to reset the bios also...still the same! I guess i'll have to take it for repair! :/

it might be cheaper to buy a new/used motherboard of same specs

this IS a used motherboard!!! my last one was ECS P4M800PRO-M2

it will likely cost more to fix than to replace .with a compatable board

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.