Hi,
I am hoping someone can help me. About a week ago, my Dell Inspiron (bought it in Sept 2004) Windows XP started doing this funky thing. I can only turn it on by unplugging the power source or removing the battery. I hit the power button and nothing. I then have to remove the power source and replug it and then hit the power button and it turns on. Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything i can do. I have already done a computer restore to the day before it started happening, but nothing.

thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Once you turn it on, how does it turn off? Does it go into hibernate or stand by mode? and what do you have it do when the lid closed? I ask because I had a Dell Latitude C series that would do that but it was a bug with how the system handled power options like stand by and hibernate. It would never recover from lid closing going to standby mode and would sometimes not come out of hibernate. Pressing the power button would do nothing and I had to unplug it and remove the battery to get the power button to work and power it back on. I think a BIOS update fixed the problem. I also would make sure APM/ACPI is enabled in the BIOS and Windows sees it as that type of computer since that's what controls all that stuff. Also review your settings in the Power Options Settings like what happens when the lid closes and what does it do when the power button is pressed. Some have this set to go to standby but if there is a problem with it returning from standby then change that to power off the system. I have mine (Dell D550) set to power off when the power button is pressed and do nothing when the lid closes and then sleep when the sleep button is pressed (which I never use).

Hi,
i am so sorry it has taken me this long to respond. thank you for respodning. to answer your questions,
I am still having the problem. i changed the power settings, but i am not sure how to do a BIOS update thing you mentioned. also the whole thing is slower than 3 weeks ago and only seems to work when i hear the fan churning. i fear i need a whole new computer though this one is only 18 months old, but of course with no warranty. any other suggestions would be great. thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.