Hi guys,

I'm back again with other problem.

My PC won't work - its now completely refusing to star-up unless I press F8 and start in Safe Mode. I am basic with PCs software/hardware etc, but heres the story so far:

Approximately 1 year ago my computer (Pentium 2, quite basic approxiamtely 5 years old from new), developed a virus and I had to call a PC bloke out to fix it. He completey wiped the PC and installed Panda, Windows XP (not geniune unfortunately). Since then I've had one problem, which T and a few others helped me out with (logged in Virus forum).

However, since then I believe that my PC developed another virus and stopped working properly. When I say stopped working properly is that when you initially turn on the PC and blue screen pops up with the message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

As this is not the first time I'm seeing this message, the message said that I should disable BIOS memory such as caching or shadowing.

I have purchased a genuine copy of Windows and would like to install it again as I think that this may rectify any problems that I'm currently having, but I don't know how to disable BIOS. I have tries installing Windows in Safe Mode but it won't let me.

Can anyone help or give some advice? Also, once I install Windows XP on my PC can I use that same disk on my laptop.

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have purchased a genuine copy of Windows and would like to install it again as I think that this may rectify any problems that I'm currently having

Yes, and there are other obvious good reasons for installing a legit version of Windows, aside from it perhaps rectifying the problems.

I have tries installing Windows in Safe Mode but it won't let me.

You don't install/reinstall Windows from within Safe Mode; you boot directly from the installation CD and perform the install from there.
Insert the CD and restart your computer; the computer should either boot right from the CD or ask you if you want to boot from the CD (the answer is obviously "yes"). If it does not, you need to enter the BIOS setup utility, locate the boot device order configuration menu, and make sure that the CD drive is listed before the hard drive.

Hi DMR,

Thanks for the advise. I have tried pressing F12 and requesting that the PC boots from disk but that same blue screen apprears. I don't know about BIOS, so not sure what I should do.

Can anyone talk me through what BIOS is and also how to get into it.

What is BIOS?
It is Basic Input Output System. That is a back bone software that is implemented in your motherboard in a form of replacable chip. It is used to run the motherboard and everything on it like ide/sata/raid/scsi controllers, PCI/AGP/PCI-e slots, memory, CPU, and anything that is implemented on the motherboard (like LAN, Soundboard, Video...)

How to get to BIOS setup?
If F12 don't get you to bios setup screen, try del key or F2. It usualy displays on the post screen which key is used to enter BIOS setup.
There you need to navigate and find something that sounds like "boot sequence" or "boot device priority". Make 1st CD/DVD and 2nd HD. After setting this (disregard that message about cache you posted - disableing that reduces the system performance) exit and save the changes.
Insert Windows CD, and your system should start with windows installation.

Thanks for all your help.

Situation is now sorted. I was being a complete muppet by trying to load Windows Office (Word, Excel, P/point etc) instead of Windows XP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.