How do the Xeon E5-2650 compare to the other i7 processors, are they worth the investment ? I read there multiplier locked

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Is it worth the investment? It depends. The Intel "recommended" price for any of them is about $1100 USD. The Xeon E5-2650 has 8 cores and 16 threads (with hyperthreading enabled). There are 2 models. One is a 2Ghz chip with a turbo speed of 2.8Ghz, and a 2.6Ghz model with a 3.4Ghz turbo speed.

What do you mean by "multiplier locked"? Do you refer to the system clock speed? CPU speed? What?

When I said multiplier locked; I mean you can't overclock from the articles I've read, is this true ?

Mind I ask what CPU you have, and if you would consider the investment ?

My work laptop has a 2 core i7. My personal home workstation (now 6 years old) has dual quad-core E5450 3GHz Penryn processors - out of date now, but still quick enough for my needs. Would I consider the investment? Definitely if I were building a new workstation for my personal use. You also need a motherboard to complement that chip.

You can't over clock this chip, correct ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.