In about one month i am purchasing a new video card, which will require me to purchase a new power supply, because my current one is only a 250w. I have been searching many websites in order to try to find out with PSU i will need and what features im looking for, and how to tell if the PSU will be any good, or if it wil crap out on me in a few weeks. Id really like some help here. I am looking for a 450 - 500w PSU and i was hoping to spend no more than $30, maybe ill need to spend more.
My system specs and componets:
AMD Athlon XP 3100+ 2.2 ghz rated at 3.1ghz processor
2 sticks of 512 mb pc2700 ddr sdram
160 gb hardrive
DVD - Rom drive
CD - RW drive
ATI Radeon 9200 se agp 128 mb (soon to be upgrading to an XFX 6800 XT 256 mb agp card)
9 in 1 card reader
2.0 speaker system (soon to be a 2.1 within the next week)
CRT Monitor
HP printer

I think that is all of the components of my hardrive.
I tried to find out what the form factor of my PSU was but i do not know where it is located on the actual power unit. Also, i do not need a SLI ready power supply, but what is the 12V+ feature on some of the PSU's? Im really confused here and I cannot afford to fry my motherboard due to a faulty or underpowered PSU
Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

alright thanks this looks great, however it is a 20 + 4 pin main connector, i need only a 20 pin. is it possible that i can use a 20 + 4 pin connector on a normal 20 pin board or do i need a converter or something?

alright thanks this looks great, however it is a 20 + 4 pin main connector, i need only a 20 pin. is it possible that i can use a 20 + 4 pin connector on a normal 20 pin board or do i need a converter or something?

It has the converter in it already. It is an adaptor that makes it from 24 to 20 pins. You will be all set with it.

alright thanks a bunch. ill buy it in a few weeks with my video card. hopefully they'll have a rebate on it then. hopefully i can still get a few years out of this agp video card too. thanks for the help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.