I am having issues tryin to boot my puter OS is Windows XP Professional. I had issues and found out it was a faulty mouse afer spendin $100.00's on new parts. I am gunna build another puter with the extra stuff lol.
Anyways I cannot seem to boot this thing in reg or normal mode. I dont have a windows XP setup CD I only have Windows XP office Backup CD. Its what I was sent when i bought this thing from a guy on Ebay. I just need to know if I can repair the Boot sector without spendin more money, or at least if I have Options!!! Thanks in Advance and I am so Glad this site is here. I will def input from my learning experiences!!!!
Mikee

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

By "boot sector" I presume that you meant Booting problem you're having and not an area of your HD.

Few Qs:

- You wrote that you have spent $100 on new parts, but did not specify the hardware changes (except the mouse) of your machine.

- "windows XP office Backup CD", is it by any chance "Windows XP Prof. Backup CD"?

If you have a new mobo installed, you will not be able to boot normally without installing new mobo's drivers or reinstalling the windows. Backup CD and your current installation of windows are set to work with your old mobo only. Problem with mobo change is that you need a lengthly set of drivers to run it properly, and changing those drivers is not possible while in the safe mode.

In safe mode there is a tool called event viewer (Administrative tools) that will log any system or driver failures. There you can find what is preventing windows from booting. (a record of an error message or alert)

Thanks for the reply Chaky, I have replaced the motherboard,(same as my original.) I have replaced the memory, the power supply and the keyboard. The mouse isnt new I had in on another machine. It seems to be working fine. I am rather inqusitive on how I access this progam (event viewer) you spoke of. Let me know. I will greatly appreciate it. I am already indebted for what you have shared with me. I Thank You...... Mikee
in the meantime I am searchin to find it myself. Thanks again

To access event viewer just click start/run and type

eventvwr.msc /s

It will display 3 categories of logs. You need to browse the "System" section and look for records of "Error" type and a time of last attempt of normal boot. Please post the suspect records.

While you're at it, you should post the brand and model of motherboard and memory, so I can have more complete picture of what is happening.

If you replaced with IDENTICAL motherboard and IDENTICAL memory, there is one quick way (not advised) to "transfer" BIOS settings that are (I'm certain) NOT identical (Maybe even BIOS-es differ). It is to literally switch BIOS chips. In most cases they are replaceable chips, not soldered but inserted into the seats. But doing so can cause unnecessary damage.

On the other hand, maybe the memory settings are set wrong and causing this. Maybe the memory is even incompatible with the motherboard. That is where the info on your motherboard and memory will come in handy.

Hi Chaky, The MB is an ASUS P4P800 SE, Memory I have installed is DDR PC 3200 400 Mhz 512 mb, The processor is an Intel 3Ghz 1mb.
The old MB is the same as I listed old Memory is also DDR PC 2700 333mhz and I had a PC 3200 400 Mhz. The old Processor is an Intel 2Ghz 512 There are 4 diff errors in event viewer and are all sayinf from DCOM. They list a statment that a program cannot be started in safe mode. One actually lists a few programs that cannot run in safe mode. Most including AVG Programs. I am hesitant to change the bios chips because of what you said about causing more problems. I am however considering putting the old motherboard back in and running the old Bios chip that way. I am waiting your opinion. Let me know and thanks again. You can email me if all details are needed

Here is my advice:

Take a note of the BIOS version (it is displayed while booting).
If it is 1012 or 1.012 or 1012.001 or 1.012001 it is beta version.
Beta means work in progress - possible bugs. It is quite possible that the guys in store flash the latest BIOS-es as soon as one is published. Even beta versions.
If it is beta version, my advice would be to downgrade your BIOS to more reliable version 1011.
To flash it you'll need floppy drive and flashing utility.

Make bootable floppy, unpack those 2 files to that floppy.
Delete autoexec.bat and config.sys on that floppy and boot the system via floppy. You will need to change booting sequence in your BIOS (Floppy or removable first).
When booted type:

afudos.exe /i1011 /oBackup.rom

Do NOT interrupt the process. It will take minute or two to complete and will reboot or will prompt you to reboot. If you interrupt the BIOS flashing, you will render your motherboard useless. (recoverable, but unnecessary complication)

Same advice if the version is lower than 1011.

Anyway, windows should not notice the difference between 2 identical motherboards. Only possible difference between those 2 motherboards is BIOS version and BIOS settings. Memory change should not impact windows bootability. The old mem (333 MHz) is even less compatible with the new one (400 MHz).

If all that fails:
- go ahead with installing back old motherboard.
- also take note of that BIOS version, just to compare the two.
- my best diagnose is that you purchased a faulty motherboard or the BIOS settings are critically different (CPU and memory settings).

Thanks Alot Chaky I greatly appreciate your wisdom, I will post when I have an outcome TY

chalky is on target with the bios but before trying to do this i would suggest clearing the cmos(bios) and re setting the bios, a lot less risky. you can do this by disconnecting power and either moving the cmos jumpers on the mobo to the cmos clear position for 15 seconds or so then moving them back, you can also do this by removing the cmos battery and shorting out the contacts. then re start the machine the bios will reset to default but you will need to go in and re do the date and detect hard drives etc
it may be thet there is a slight difference in the mobo. if you can get an xp cd, boot from the cd and go through to where it asks if you would like to windows to try and repair the installation (press R) this will retain your data but should update windows for the new mobo. you will probably still need your xp product key thuogh

Hey guys thanks alot for the input. What I did is went ahead and reinstalled my old M/B and everything worked fine. The old drivers are in my HD. I think I will have to break down and buy a windows program to set up the other M/B. I really appreciate the help Thank You

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.