Hi,
I'm running Windows Xp on my system. I currently have a 200 Gb hard drive installed. When I got this computer, I also added my 80 GB hard drive off my old computer. It worked fine for over a year until recently when I did a system restore. Now, my computer won't even recognize the second hard drive unless I partition it and reformat it. Is there any way to get my second hard drive working again and not lose all of my files and programs I had? The second hard drive had EVERYTHING of importance that I needed from my main hard drive before the system restore.

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by rockineds

my computer won't even recognize the second hard drive unless I partition it and reformat it.

How do you know that if Windows doesn't even see the drive and you haven't tried a reformat?

* Does the BIOS still recognize the drive?
* Does the physical drive appear in Device Manager? If so, is it reported to be working correctly?
* Does the drive appear in the Disk Management utility? If so, what information does the utility report for the drive?

Hi,
I'm running Windows Xp on my system. I currently have a 200 Gb hard drive installed. When I got this computer, I also added my 80 GB hard drive off my old computer. It worked fine for over a year until recently when I did a system restore. Now, my computer won't even recognize the second hard drive unless I partition it and reformat it. Is there any way to get my second hard drive working again and not lose all of my files and programs I had? The second hard drive had EVERYTHING of importance that I needed from my main hard drive before the system restore.

Had same problem. Changing drive from auto to user fixed mine in BIOS.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.