Hi,
I'm running Windows Xp on my system. I currently have a 200 Gb hard drive installed. When I got this computer, I also added my 80 GB hard drive off my old computer. It worked fine for over a year until recently when I did a system restore. Now, my computer won't even recognize the second hard drive unless I partition it and reformat it. Is there any way to get my second hard drive working again and not lose all of my files and programs I had? The second hard drive had EVERYTHING of importance that I needed from my main hard drive before the system restore.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

my computer won't even recognize the second hard drive unless I partition it and reformat it.

How do you know that if Windows doesn't even see the drive and you haven't tried a reformat?

* Does the BIOS still recognize the drive?
* Does the physical drive appear in Device Manager? If so, is it reported to be working correctly?
* Does the drive appear in the Disk Management utility? If so, what information does the utility report for the drive?

Hi,
I'm running Windows Xp on my system. I currently have a 200 Gb hard drive installed. When I got this computer, I also added my 80 GB hard drive off my old computer. It worked fine for over a year until recently when I did a system restore. Now, my computer won't even recognize the second hard drive unless I partition it and reformat it. Is there any way to get my second hard drive working again and not lose all of my files and programs I had? The second hard drive had EVERYTHING of importance that I needed from my main hard drive before the system restore.

Had same problem. Changing drive from auto to user fixed mine in BIOS.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.