I am facing problem with the following messages while starting my desktop with Intel Pentium 4 motherboard:
-Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed
-Keyboard error or no keyboard present
-CMOS checksum error -defaults loaded

I changed my CMOS battery with a new one. I tried by re-installing the jumper in the motherboard. I used USB keyboard. but nothing worked out. I am still getting the same message while booting each time. plz help. I am totally stucked.

-Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed

The primary IDE channel is where older PCs normally expect to find a boot disk. Check the cable between your motherboard and harddisk. Has it been inserted correctly and in the right orientation? Also check that the jumper settings on the boot disk are set to 'master'.

If your motherboard supports ATA-133 you can take advantage of the faster interface by using an 80-pin cable to connect the harddisk, instead of the more common 40-pin connector.

-Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Before the advent of USB keyboards PCs were typically supplied with PS2 keyboards (not PlayStation2). You should find there's an option to turn off keyboard errors in the system BIOS. If you disable the halt on keyboard errors, I expect you'll find the system will boot and discover the USB keyboard once the OS has loaded. Otherwise try a PS2 keyboard.

-CMOS checksum error -defaults loaded

It's not unusual to see BIOS checksum errors after replacing a CMOS battery. Try resetting the BIOS to its defaults if the problem persists.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.