Hello,

I have a spare DVD reader/writer lying round, i was wondering if i could add it to my PC but the power supply is only 400w. Will it overload the PSU?

PC Specs:

2 x Standard case fans
Quiet Xigmatek 400w PCI-E PSU
AMD FX 6100 black edition
8GB ram
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
500GB SATA II
250GB SSD
ATI HD7770
22x dual layer DVD +/- Rew writer
Network card

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Try using this tool for questions such as this: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

And by the way, I'm pretty sure with that setup you can run the dvd player. If anything just plug it in and try it out. The only two things that could happen is your PC won't power on with the DVD player plugged in, or your system won't run stable. If either of those things occur then just leave the DVD player out until you get a new PSU.

Ok, thank you.

No problem. Also make sure to check your manufacturer's website for updated firmware for the drive! You can extend the life and increase the performance of the drive depending on the firmware updates to be had.

I try to keep all of my firmware up to date. But thank you for telling me.

600watts is better for your cpu....

Your CPU, HD, and video card are likely the biggest current draws on your PSU. See what the load is (you can find out from the manufacturer's documentation). FWIW, if you are only running one of the DVD drives at once, then you will not likely have a problem. Running both may be an issue, if you were to use one to copy to the other, for example.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.