I recently got blue screened about four times. Some time later, i noticed that the nVidia GPU(630M), which is used with Optimus along with the onboard graphics, isn't being detected by the computer. I just want to know if there is some way to maybe make sure that the GPU is dead before doing anything else about it, maybe through the BIOS or some other method. I no longer have the crash dumps however.

A couple specs:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i5-3210 @ 2.50GHz
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
And the GPU is an nVidia 630M with 1G VRAM

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You need to check a few thigns before you assume the GPU is dead

1. Try the GPU in another machine, preferably a friends or something to that nature.
  2. Try a different power supply in your machine.
  3. Make sure your card isn't overheating, is it clean of dust, those should be cleaned at least once every few months.
  4. If you can get back in windows check your tempuratures with MSI Afterburner, make sure the fan is working correctly, and make sure your drivers are up to date.

If a different power supply works. Then your power supply is going bad.
If the GPU works in another computer then its either your PCI-e slot, or your powersupply. Betting on the latter here.
If the GPU works in another computer, test another video card in your computer, to make sure it isn't the PCI-e slot. If that GPU does work than it is definitely the power supply.

I apologize for not making the situation clear. I had initally posted that the PC was a laptop, but I guess I erased it while editing.

Firstly you need to disable the primary graphics option from the BIOS and after that your need to install the correct version of nvidia GPU driver. Please try this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.