After searching through the forums, I can't seem to find someone with the same problem I am having.
I have been using the same computer for about a year now without any problems. A week ago I broke my own rule of, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" and went into the BIOS and turned on the overheat protection. After that I have been experiencing random reboots, no Windows XP BSOD's (altho they are turned on). I figured this was due to turning on the BIOS setting so I planned to turn it off today after I got home from work. Got home, sat in front of the computer (which runs 24/7), played a game for about an hr without any problems, stepped away for 30 mins to return to a blank screen. I figured it had hung, so I pressed the reset button... nothing. I then powered it down, holding down pwr button, and tried to boot it back up. When I turn it on, the DVD-RW drive lights up for a second and that's it. There are no beeps or post. I have tried removing all but video card and RAM. Tried removing CPU and Fan/HS and re-applying thermal grease. Even tried clearing CMOS. Nothing has been successful. I have not had any power surges (protected with an APC UPS anyway). All fans, lights, and LCD screen turn on when powered on (LCD screen displays HDD, VC & CPU temp, which have all been normal). The Mainboard is a ECS KT600-A with an AMD 2400+, VPU is Chaintech GeForce FX5700LE. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated as I am at a total loss. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Just an update. Apparently is was just the power supply. I purchased a new one, put it in and all is working fine now.

Just an update. Apparently is was just the power supply. I purchased a new one, put it in and all is working fine now.

was just goint to say try a power supply !!

I still seem to be experiencing random reboots tho. :sad: I'm not really sure why this is happening, I have unchecked "Automatically Restart" under "Startup and Recovery" yet I do not get a blue screen (BSOD) when the error occurs. I'm going to start eliminating programs one-by-one starting with the latest one installed and see if maybe one of those could be the cause. #1 = Sypware Doctor v3.8.0.2575 Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.