I'm trying to install the Rapid Rails that came with a new Dell PowerEdge 1850 server into a standard square-hole rack. The Dell Rapid Rails are just a little bit too short, about 1/2" or so. Are Dell Rapid Rails meant to install only in Dell-branded racks?

I don't know the brand name of the rack that I'm using, I need to check. I've already installed a 2U APC uninterruptible power supply and a small monitor in the rack using the rails supplied with those.

How can I fix this problem, do I need to order a different rail kit from Dell or from some other supplier?

Thanks

Bob

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Under "customise your system" on thier website you can choose the dell or generic ones

I'm trying to install the Rapid Rails that came with a new Dell PowerEdge 1850 server into a standard square-hole rack. The Dell Rapid Rails are just a little bit too short, about 1/2" or so. Are Dell Rapid Rails meant to install only in Dell-branded racks?

I don't know the brand name of the rack that I'm using, I need to check. I've already installed a 2U APC uninterruptible power supply and a small monitor in the rack using the rails supplied with those.

How can I fix this problem, do I need to order a different rail kit from Dell or from some other supplier?

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

Even our server racks work with all Dell rails. In fact, I only know of 1 chassis that would not fit in our rack and that was a custom system.

Our 4 post racks have adjustable posts; they can be moved as close as 5" and as far as 32", so that covers most all equipment.

Most racks have some level of adjustment even if other racks do not adjust their posts as much as ours...can you adjust your posts?

commented: 3 years late with the pithy ad / sig links. Did you bother to read the post dates to find out if your wibble was in any way relevant and timely for the OP? -6
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.