I have a problem with an older computer (98-99) I turn it on, and it starts to turn on, and then as soon as it starts to load a little bit it turns off, The moniter stays on though. I have Tried putting in the recovery disk but the computer turns off before I get to start formatting, does anyone know what it could be? I have tried plugging it in different outlets and nothing changes.. Is it the power supply?

Recommended Answers

All 73 Replies

I have a problem with an older computer (98-99) I turn it on, and it starts to turn on, and then as soon as it starts to load a little bit it turns off, The moniter stays on though. I have Tried putting in the recovery disk but the computer turns off before I get to start formatting, does anyone know what it could be? I have tried plugging it in different outlets and nothing changes.. Is it the power supply?

It could be, but we need more information. How far does it get? What's the last message that you see before shutdown? Is it consistent?

You should also check around the back of the unit and see if the power supply fan is spinning normally (it's usually visible). If not (a common problem due to binding bearings or being clogged with dust), the PS is probably baked to death (long-term overheating) and will have to be replaced.

It gets to where the things on startup are loading, you can see the desktop and move the mouse, then it shuts off. Now if I push the button again, it doesnt work, unless i go down on the ground, turn OFF the power strip, wait 5 seconds, then turn it back on, and the process will happen again. It seems as if the fan is spinning like it should

That's a Windows problem you have there, then, most likely. It doesn't sound like a hardware problem at all.

Somehow, your drivers have been corrupted, or some software is trying to load which is causing Windows to have a 'seizure'. You could spend ages trying to track it down, or you could format the hard drive and install Windows again. you'd lose all your data if you did that.

Try booting Windows in 'Safe Mode' (by pressing the <F8> key while Windows is first loading) and see if it runs that way. If so, it may be recoverable.

You don't even get to the startup? Perhaps your video card blew it...

I have tried Formatting, it turns off in that, I have tried loading in safe mode, it turns of in that, i have tried loading in Bios (is that it?) and it turned off there... TallCool1 was trying to help but he now beleives its hardware because it doesnt run in any of those

After this further information I'd believe it's a hardware problem as well. I'd initially thought it to be a software one, as you'd mentioned it had loaded far enough for you to view the Desktop and then froze.

You've mentioned that the fan seems to be working, but which fan?

You might mean the fan in the power unit, or you might mean a case fan. Have you checked inside the case to ensure that the fan on your processor is working? If it isn't, your processor would quickly overheat, and cause problems similar to what you describe. If the inside of the system is full of dust and clogged up, that could cause overheating problems as well.

Check inside the system case to see that all fans are actually operating.

er if it's not always at the same point, it could be an under powered PSU, i had that problem once.

Now if I push the button again, it doesnt work, unless i go down on the ground, turn OFF the power strip, wait 5 seconds, then turn it back on,

Ah Ha, youre mobo is screwed!! simple as that, my bros pc had that.

I too have just started to have the same problem, but my computer is pretty new.

Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
512 DDR 3200 RAM
MSI K7N2 Delta - L Mobo
40 gig HD
Radeon 8500
Windows 2000 Professsional

Power supply and processor fans are working, and I have 3 more case fans running fine as well.

When my computer shuts itself off, I have to go to the back and switch that button to off and then on before it starts up.

Also, the computer turns off at random times, and it has only made it to the startup screen once before turning off. It usually turns off at the scren that says Loading Windows press f8 or whatever for troubleshooting (The screen right before the one with the Loading WIndows 2000 Professional, and there's the color picture.) But sometimes it doesnt even get past the, ummmm, lol, omg I forgot what it's called. Umm, where it checks for the cd-rom, floppy, and HD. Anyways, that's what happens. Hopefully you can enlighten me on my problem.

Another problem that might be linked as well is for some reason when I play Call of Duty, sometimes my computer will just turn itself off. Then, after I turn it on again, if I don't play Call of Duty, my computer will fine for hours and hours. It has yet to turn off on me when I'm not playing CoD.

Well those are my problems, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The issue sounds as though it is a CPU over heating as mentioned before. Even if the Processor fan is still working this may be the issue, specially with a newer machine as it runs at higher temperatures. Stop turning the computer on at this point untill you make sure the next steps are taken as you may damage your processor from overheating. unplug the computer from the wall, and open it up. Remove the Processor fan and wipe of all the heating compound from the processor and the processor fan. Make sure you go buy more before all of this. Re-apply new compound across the processor's surface evenly. Then reinstall the processor fan and close up the computer. If this doesn't work then at least for a few dollars and some ime you have ruled out the processor as the issue and you are sure not to cause further damage to the CPU.

I have just started experiencing this same problem. Just started happening out of the blue. I too can not get it to start up until I unplug it, or switch off the shut-off switch on the power supply.
I have the case open and it sounds as if it has to wait for a capacitor to discharge before it will allow you to turn it back on again.

I have changed my PS, but am still getting the same problem. I have completly blown out all (or as much as I could) of the dust from my tower.

Both of the fans are running, both CPU and PS.

At this point, do you think it would be the heating compound or something else?

This is what was happening to mine when my processor was overheating due to the heat not being spread across the processor properly ( this was a factory applied condition as well). The wait I had to expirience was due to the proccessor having to cool slightly before I could try to start it again, so if you see any bios when you start it and it actually starts, then reset the heat sink to the processor with new heat compound.

This is where it gets imortant for you> I beleive the issue you are having is a fried mother board. When I had a fried mother board, I had to disconnect the power from the wall, after each attempt ( or press the reset button two times for a response). the cause of my problem was a bad power supply. I didn't realize it at the time because the power supply worked when I put in a new mother board, but after two weeks that mother board was fried too. I knew that motherboard was good cause it was in a machine I had used for just over a year with no problems. I got a new motherboard and replaced the power supply with a good one and all has been well for six months now and still going. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON YOUR POWER SUPPLIES! They will end up costing you more money in the end.

I have the same problem, turns out MOBO is now dead, it has exactly the same as described. Would boot to winxp and then just turn off. The on/off switch would no longer work. I pulled the mains and put it back in. As if it was giving it a booster.

Then it would boot and then:eek::eek: die.

There are many good answers here, there are also a lot! of people with this problem.
The best answer was the person that mentioned the Capacitors.

They are cheap, they are all over the board and in the power supply, they will fail, right away or after years of being hot.
Capacitors are for sure absolutely the answer to 70% of the "my system shuts down and I have to unplug" problem.

I built a computer today,
AMD Athlon X2 4600
2gb DDR2
36GB Raptor
7950 GX2 eVGA Video Card

Everything was working fine, got windows installed, and then went to install the video drivers, it restarted my computer and never turned back on. Now when i try to boot up the computer it doesn't even go into BIOS, it powers on for 10 seconds, everything spins, and then shuts right back off. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Try taking the fan and processor out, clean the paste off of them with a dry rag, reapply the paste and reset the fan onto the processor. If that doesn't work then you may have a MoBo that is fried and would be considered DOA by the company if you have only had it for a week or two. The place that sold it to you should then replace it, if you have had it longer then you will need to get a RMA through the board manufacturer so they can replace it. If you see anything on the moniter that suggests the Bios is working then it is unlikely that it is the motherboard. Make sure your power supply offers enough power and in my expirience NEVER use the power supply that comes with a case when you buy it.

Im having the same problem.

When i power the computer on and go to bios, it can stay there for hours with out turning off. I left it on for 2 hour and it did not turn off.

But when I try booting to Windows XP after the Loading Window XP part, it look like the cpu fan turn off. But the Powersupply fan is still running. I have to hold the power button for 5 sec to turn it off.

I tried a few stuff in the pervious post. I even try to reinstall window but after trying to copy files it wound do the same. I try putting my harddrive to another computer as slave, it would show all my file, so i know its a good hard drive.

Do you guy think my motherboard is broken?

Thanks for any help.

the easiest way to check the capacitors is to look at them, when they have overheated the top will "dome" and split, you will see where they have leaked. by the way a capacitor can take a major battering and still work, I've seen motherboards with several blown still functioning.
I'd go with old heat paste, just get the proscessor fan and heatsink out, give them a good clean and renew the thermal paste, you only need the tiniest amount.
also check the thermal cut out setting in the bios if it has one 75degrees should be fine.

This is what was happening to mine when my processor was overheating due to the heat not being spread across the processor properly ( this was a factory applied condition as well). The wait I had to expirience was due to the proccessor having to cool slightly before I could try to start it again, so if you see any bios when you start it and it actually starts, then reset the heat sink to the processor with new heat compound.

This is where it gets imortant for you> I beleive the issue you are having is a fried mother board. When I had a fried mother board, I had to disconnect the power from the wall, after each attempt ( or press the reset button two times for a response). the cause of my problem was a bad power supply. I didn't realize it at the time because the power supply worked when I put in a new mother board, but after two weeks that mother board was fried too. I knew that motherboard was good cause it was in a machine I had used for just over a year with no problems. I got a new motherboard and replaced the power supply with a good one and all has been well for six months now and still going. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON YOUR POWER SUPPLIES! They will end up costing you more money in the end.

well, my power supply blew up 3 times already, so i replaced it with a new one. OK, this new power supply worked for about 1/2 a year now (maybe) and now I am beginning to have the same problem these other people are having.

Basically, my computer starts, press the button and it turns on for like 2 minutes? and then automatically shuts itself down. After that, I have to wait 20 seconds to turn the computer on orelse, it will just shut down straight after i press the button.

However, if i continoue to turn my computer on/off and on/off, eventually it will stay on. Just like now, how im replying to this message.

I built a computer today,
AMD Athlon X2 4600
2gb DDR2
36GB Raptor
7950 GX2 eVGA Video Card

Everything was working fine, got windows installed, and then went to install the video drivers, it restarted my computer and never turned back on. Now when i try to boot up the computer it doesn't even go into BIOS, it powers on for 10 seconds, everything spins, and then shuts right back off. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

nice computer, lol, pity ur having a problem Oo
u got a crazy gaming comp hahaha

I am having a problem with my computer turning off shortly after it has been turned on. The only way I can get it to turn on is if I hit the switch off on the back of the power supply for a minute or so. It has gotten to a point where my monitor powers on, but does not display anything. I have been using the same power supply that came with my case for almost 2.5 years now. When I replaced that power supply with one that my friend recently gave me, I got the same results.

Sometimes it's a software problem or you have corrupted files in the system. Have you tried to reformat your drive?

Sometimes it's a software problem or you have corrupted files in the system. Have you tried to reformat your drive?

It is possible that its a software problem, because my laptop is experiencing almost the same problem. I find it funny that they both died at the same time. The only thing that makes me believe its a hardware issue, is the fact that my monitor will not display anything and the power shuts down. I am thinking I could possibly need a new motherboard.

Sorry, I did notice that your question was about "No Screen Display and No Bios Post".

1. Be sure all the components inside the pc are properly reseated and tightened.
2. Reset the CMOS settings (pull out the cmos battery for 20 sec. then return it again to its holder). Please check if this can solve your problem.

Are you sure the power supply you have just recently used is working? I think your power supply is at fault and it may cause a gradual damaged to your motherboard.

Try to test your pc with another power supply.

These are all good things to try, opening the case, cleaning the dust out, reseating the memory boards, cleaning the fans, checking the fans operation...but, before going crazy and replacing the P/S or removing the CPU, nobody has suggested doing the old-fashioned thing...run 'chkdsk'. My daughter's PC was doing the exact same thing everyone's describing, random power outs from 5 secs. to 5 mins., but what I found out with her system was if I was able to get into SAFE mode, it would stay on indefinitely. Now, this may not be the case for everyone's problem, but in SAFE mode, I was able to run a chkdsk, and found bad sectors on the hard drive! This means the software is mechanically getting corrupted by age/corrosion of the HDD plates. Once they start to go, they all go. I may have been able to format it and reload the OS, but the PC was given to her and was 4-5 years old and had no disks. But, if I had, it may not have lasted long as the others sectors start to degrade.

i have installed a new hardrive and added memory in my pc, pentium 4, 2.8 GHz of processor and made new fresh windows xp installation

the pc is booting up properly at first instant, and after five minutes turns itself off, the power is still on but there's no graphics at all, the monitor is died. i tried to another monitor and installed new video graphic card. but it never worked, if i try to boot up right after it turned off it self, it won't boot up again. you have to wait for a wile.

someone can help me the way through of this problem

thank you

Leave your cmos battery out for about 30 mins of your pc then put it back to its holder. Start your pc.

Thank you. The problem has been sorted out by changing the cpu fan and replacing ti to a new one

Thanks, Ibro for sharing your solution with us.

So now, we're all starting to have some success in fixing this problem. BUT. I think we need to separate the issues.

First of all. My problem is similar to every post in this thread in the sense that my PC shuts itself off, and needs to be resetted att the power supply to turn back on. The only difference for me is, that I don't even see the boot screen. My computer shuts down a few secs before monitor the automatic monitor turn-on. And here's the thing: it does so randomly.

Sometimes it works perfectly, for as many days in a row as I'd like, and other times I have to plug-unplug 7 times to get it going. Or 3 times. It all varies, and has been doing so for the past six months. It actually worked flawlessly for a couple of weeks. This rules out the CPU heating problem (inconsistency?), but i'm absolutely clueless.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.