hi,

i am having an odd problem with my cd tray.

its a pc.. and it was working perfect, but all of a sudden i pusht the button it wont ope... i tried restarting the computer but no luck. i know for sure that there is no damage to it physically. some internel problem.

help would be appreaciated.

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Does it open if you choose the software "Eject" option?
* Double-click on your My Computer icon.
* Right-click on the CD drive icon.
* Choose "Eject" from the resulting drop-down context menu.

Does it open if you choose the software "Eject" option?
* Double-click on your My Computer icon.
* Right-click on the CD drive icon.
* Choose "Eject" from the resulting drop-down context menu.

when i click on my computer.. now all of a sudden i dont even see the D drive..

even after a reboot?

i think your drive has died

(mine did once as when burning a cheap cdrw for the 100th time it shattered and cut the internal cable to the lazer)

Have u tried a paperclip in the eject hole?

yea i did the paper clip thing.. but i mean it opens.. but even if i put a cd in there.. nothing happens..

Does the drive have power (does it do stuff like flash at bootup)
if not windows is screwed or its dead

Let's look a level deeper:

* Right-click on My Computer.
* Choose "Properties"
* Click the "Hardware" tab.
* Click the "Device Manager" button.
* In Device Manager, click on the "+" box next to your computer's name.
* In the resulting drop-down hardware list, double-click "DVD/CD-ROM Drives".

Do you see the physical drive listed there? If so, double-click on it. In the resulting Properties window, is the device reported to be working correctly in the Device Status box, or not? If not, please post the full and exact contents of the status box.

Check the power and data connections. You can verify the power cable's plugged in if the drive's LED blinks when you switch on your computer or reboot your computer.

As for the data cable, just make sure both ends are plugged in securely. If that doesnt help, try swapping the data cable for a new one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.