hey guys
yesterday i put a cd rom in my cd drive and the cd broke in bits in the drive half of it came out when i ejected it but now it wont open the light flashes but nothing happens, when i start the computer the boot up menu appears up.

is there anyway i can fix it at home without taking it for repair the computers 5 months old plz help
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

hey guys
yesterday i put a cd rom in my cd drive and the cd broke in bits in the drive half of it came out when i ejected it but now it wont open the light flashes but nothing happens, when i start the computer the boot up menu appears up.

is there anyway i can fix it at home without taking it for repair the computers 5 months old plz help
:sad: :sad: :sad:

hiya ricky. welcome to the forum

it sounds as though when your disk broke and you ejected it, a particle of the disc has got stuck in the drives opening mechanism. to get this out yourself isn't reccomended and if your pc is only 5 moths old it should be fixed under warranty. mate your going to need a replacement drive. however if you feel upto it why not go and buy one yourself and fit it yourself (upgrade while ur at it to a dvd rom if you wish);)

do i take it back whre i got the pc from??

do i take it back whre i got the pc from??

That would be the logical thing to do, yes. ;)

Give them a call first and explain your problem.

There should be a small hole just under the tray, stick something like a straightened paper clip in there until you feel resistence. push against this and the tray should then be able to be pried -gently- out.

Yeah i Did give them a call but they said the can't do nothin about it :evil: :evil: :evil:

could i insert a bobby pin ?? when u put the paper clip in the hole do you have force the cd drive tray to come out aswell :o

What ever you use needs to be able to fit in the hole. There is a release mechanism that if you push against it will release the tray, but yes you will have to pry the door open, if it doesn't come open easily you still haven't released the tray. You might try a sewing needle if you don't have a paper clip.

the Cd drive opens when u put the paper clip in the hole and it shuts when u press eject button but it won't open by the ejct button oh and it still has little pieces of the smashed disc inside still

If the seller won't warranty this problem I would suggest that you turn off the power, open the case and unplug the data and power cords and remove the CD/ROM from the front , there usually are a couple of screws on each side of the drive holding in the case..remove these. With it out you should be able to manipulate it easier, ie turn it upside down with the tray open and shake it, do this first. The gear or belt drive for the tray is in the front just under the tray, pay close attenion to this area of cleaning. I you have a can of air, blow it out, the cd is plastic and won't harm anything inside if small pieces are blown in there, the gears are the main concern. You might try sliding the tray slowly in and out while you blow it out, this will povide access to the gears' teeth. The good news is that it sounds like it's still alive from what you have written, and a good cleaning should do the tick.

again said exactly what i was going to say dcc.

ricky - just a little pointer here. If the machine is still under warranty then the manufacturer and/or reseller are obliged (least by law in england) to repair the machine should it go faulty. if you can prove that it was a fault with the drive and in no way was any malicios act carried out you should be ok. refer to your user manual for more information on what and where to contact.

Ill Try To Open It But Can Any Cables Or Wires Be Broken Becuase The Problems Still Going Onn........could Be A Belt ???

be gently ricky and hopefully you'll be ok. things can get broken especially tiny thin wires

About the warrantee.
If he bought a complete PC they will probably swap out the drive under warrantee. However it really is not a fault of the drive. If they do decide to look into the problem or the owner tells them a disc came apart inside they may not swap it out for free.

Here in America the law is, that if there is something wrong with what they built or provided they have to fix it (for free).

Hey i did try to take out the drive but i dont know how to remove the plug in the middle from the back of the drive. when i tilt the pc the bits of the snapped cd move inside the drive when the drive tray is closed but when i manually open the drive and tilt the whole pc i cant hear the pieces move!!!

Hey i did try to take out the drive but i dont know how to remove the plug in the middle from the back of the drive. when i tilt the pc the bits of the snapped cd move inside the drive when the drive tray is closed but when i manually open the drive and tilt the whole pc i cant hear the pieces move!!!

gently ease it out by pulling on each end in turn.

it does sound as though the bits of cd are sticking in the gears on the drive itself.;)

I had the same problem. I cleaned the disk by shaking it upside down. That got the particles out. Ofcourse, that was a cd writer and a couple of weeks after I carried the procedure out, the thing started spewing out coasters. Guess the alignment went haywire. Ricky, I suggest you be extremely slow and take it easy when opening the drive. Some drive cases have some sort of catch in them, so the drive won't open just like that. You'll need to twist and slide the cover off gently(again, the catch mechanism varies from drive to drive). Once you've got the drive open, turn it upside down and gently rock it to get the shards out. Then, eject the tray using the pin mechanism (DO NOT pull it out) and rock it again. Finally, blow the small pieces off using compressed air. Cleaning the lens with compressed air is a good idea as well. Do not touch the lens or the lens assembly though. Once you're done, slide the cover back on, taking care to re engage any catch on the drive, and screw the cover back on. Run a complete benchmark of the drive using Nero CD-DVD Speed. If there're any problems, call tech support.

FYI, generally a device's warranty does not cover any damages to the drive like disc breaking etc, as in all probability the disk broke due to a crack somewhere on the disk. If, however you can somehow prove that the disk was perfectly fine and yet the disk broke through no fault of yours, you might get it replaced under warranty.

hey guys thanks for the help but i still neeedd more. i did remove th cd drive from the computer and shook it. only 2 little pieces caame out of it the a big metal sort of thign came and the 2 rollers on the right hand side are missing
:cry:

yeah get yourself a new one. in fact why not get a dvd writer. this will also write to cds and you get a lot more storage space on dvds anyway.

ic but the dvd-r u cannot play them in audio players

thankyou dcc. exactly what i was going to say but i'll say it anyway.

Ricky... take note. a DVD rewriter drive can also be used to write to and record upon cdr's or cd-rw's. i suggested a DVD drive simply because most PCs now ship with DVD drives pre installed and also you will be able to backup much more data then you can on your average cd

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.