Starting off I can barely remember my specs on my desk top.
I know it's a Pent 4, 1.4 ghz, 640 dimm.
My brother built it 3 years ago and then gave it to me. So I replaced Win98 NT with Win98 then later purchased and installed full version XP.

I think I basically have a general question.....

First my psu started making noise, but still worked, supplying power. then one day after using it, i left it running for about 30 minutes to find it off when i returned. so i tried to reboot and the power supply came on but it wouldn't boot.

So i purchased a new power supply.... same problem. unplugged the HD from the system but kept the connection to the psu, the HD started spinning. Unplugged system connected HD and same problem won't spin. The power light is on, but the working light stays on. No clicking. System doesn't beep when turning comp on. So do you think it may be a motherboard issue? The psu probably burned up the motherboard.

I'vd tried all the steps going from barebone system swapping ram, blah blah blah, you name it. No beeps.

I will try to figure out the rest of the specs and will add later.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

win98 nt -> 98 -> xp?
do u mean nt->98->xp

win98 nt -> 98 -> xp?
do u mean nt->98->xp

yup, exactly. Was a little bit frustrated.

I messed with it a little bit more. Unplugged everything from the motherboard hard drive spins everything seems to be working. Plug it back into the motherboard and the dvd cd/rw doesn't open and hd doesn't spin. So I'm figuring I have a short or something on the motherboard.

I think youre right. Did you try resetting the CMOS? If this didnt help, well, yeah, the board could be toast.

I think youre right. Did you try resetting the CMOS? If this didnt help, well, yeah, the board could be toast.

actually i can't find the cmos i searched and looked for like 2 hours. funny huh?

Looks like your short og power... a new PSU with a higher watatge isnt that expensive

Word of warning DO NOT power on the PSU when it isnt attatched to the motherboard it may blow up

Looks like your short og power... a new PSU with a higher watatge isnt that expensive

Word of warning DO NOT power on the PSU when it isnt attatched to the motherboard it may blow up

the psu is connected to the motherboard when i power it on. I had a 300 watt psu so i tried a 350 psu with no luck, did i not go high enough on the wattage, should i try 400+ watt?

ive got a 500 and it does 2x optical drives, flopppy and hdd and gfx card etc... a 300 didnt cut it for me

ive got a 500 and it does 2x optical drives, flopppy and hdd and gfx card etc... a 300 didnt cut it for me

ok let me really think hard here.

i have 1 dvdrw-/cd/rw drive, 1 cd/rw drive. radeon gfx card, 1 floppy 1, hdd and 1 external hdd drive it's been running on 300 for like a year now. so i dunno i probably screwed up the motherboard. maybe i'll try a 500 it wouldn't hurt.

i just can't find the cmos. it's a ecs k8t800 motherboard, if i remembered all the correctly. 462 socket. Via technologies.

sounds like (after reading the first bit of thiead) that your hdd is shorting it?

try a new one or a boot floppy etc...

At botup push something like del, f11, f1, f10 etc.... to edit the cmos

sounds like (after reading the first bit of thiead) that your hdd is shorting it?

try a new one or a boot floppy etc...

let me try putting the hd in my other system first. it spins if it's not connected to the motherboard. but as soon as i connected to the motherboard nothing works. no power to any drives.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.