My wife's laptop is getting old and its LAN socket has worn to the extent that no matter what cable she uses the fit is poor and when she's online she has to hold the cable as a certain angle to keep the connection . . . which is frustrating. Wireless doesn't work either. Apart from the obvious solution to buy a new computer what other options does she have. Her USB is USB2 I think so would USB3 to LAN connects work? I can't imagine they would given the difference in USB speeds. There is a slot in the computer but it's not very wide (you can see how technical I am!!) so is probably not a PCMCIA slot. Can anyone help please?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

To the question, all the USB (2, 3, C) I've used work. However there is going to be someone with say Windows XP SP3 or some other reason why it won't this time.

As to speed. Even USB 1.0 was 11 megabits per second which is more than sufficient for most folk.

As to the slot, the make, model, age of this laptop is not here so no one can search for this laptop's specs.

Thanks very much. Very helpful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.